Rolling meat for Barbel

This forum is for discussing Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Re: Rolling meat for Barbel

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I don't cast upstream, I cast staight out and let the flow take hold of the bait, its just a matter of keeping a tight ish line, and the bites are usually very obvious.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

What shape are you cutting your bait?
Square or tubular with an apple cora etc?
I'm presuming when you say mate you're talking about luncheon meat.

Mr B

Very interesting tips.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

BoltonBullfinch wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:37 am I don't cast upstream, I cast staight out and let the flow take hold of the bait, its just a matter of keeping a tight ish line, and the bites are usually very obvious.

Thanks
BB
Thanks BB, I understand the downstream rolling but upstream rolling I couldn't get my head around. On the Dearne there's many a spot that's only accessible from downstream so I have no option to chuck the bait upstream. The swim where I lost the Barbel is perfect, it's like a small waterfall followed by an eddy on one side and some fast water on the other. I'll take a picture for you next time I'm there

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Mr B wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:33 am What shape are you cutting your bait?

Mr B

Very interesting tips.
Yes I was using luncheon meat. I cut it into small squares that were probably around the size of a grape. Now from what I've been told here and on Facebook, the bait needs to be a lot bigger. Somebody actually told me to tare off ping pong ball size baits so that's what I shall do

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

BreadFlake wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:35 am

Mr B

Very interesting tips.
Yes I was using luncheon meat. I cut it into small squares that were probably around the size of a grape. Now from what I've been told here and on Facebook, the bait needs to be a lot bigger. Somebody actually told me to tare off ping pong ball size baits so that's what I shall do
You can use any size of bait. I've rolled a single 12mm pellet that had a groove put along its length and was superglued to the shank of a size 8 hook. I also use paste and meat of all sizes depending on how many small chub are around.

As for braid. A spool of braid is always handy to have available. If you are fishing at distance on the lead, tiny pulls and twitches can become very obvious bites due to the lack of stretch. If you are new to braid, fish with a very light clutch. The fight of a barbel on braid can be terrifying as each headshake, pull and run is transmitted to your arm. A light clutch prevents hook pulls and the rod from being overworked, your index finger and the edge of the spool do all the tensioning.

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:24 pm
BreadFlake wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:35 am

Mr B

Very interesting tips.
You can use any size of bait. I've rolled a single 12mm pellet that had a groove put along its length and was superglued to the shank of a size 8 hook. I also use paste and meat of all sizes depending on how many small chub are around.

As for braid. A spool of braid is always handy to have available. If you are fishing at distance on the lead, tiny pulls and twitches can become very obvious bites due to the lack of stretch. If you are new to braid, fish with a very light clutch. The fight of a barbel on braid can be terrifying as each headshake, pull and run is transmitted to your arm. A light clutch prevents hook pulls and the rod from being overworked, your index finger and the edge of the spool do all the tensioning.
Thanks Dave, I did manage to pin the bait with an ssg shot so I was only let down by myself misunderstanding the method. Am I right that I have to let the bait settle, reel in the slack and leave it on the bottom for a bit while feeling the line. Then either pay off some line or lift the rod top allowing the meat to settle further downstream (still being upstream of me) and repeat the process?

I've never used braid, what strength should I use? Do I use a fluoro leader?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I think you may be confusing methods my friend. Touch legering is to simply feel the line when fishing and can be done with leads or any other weight to suit. 'Rolling' is to actively search the swim with your bait.

Have a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isajbXhJIr0 as Ray Walton searches out barbel on the Avon. There are other videos of Ray and, if you search it out, one with Matt Hayes and Tref West. Tref uses a slightly different technique whereby he weight the hook as opposed to putting some weight up the line.

Enjoy :Hat:

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:08 pm I think you may be confusing methods my friend. Touch legering is to simply feel the line when fishing and can be done with leads or any other weight to suit. 'Rolling' is to actively search the swim with your bait.

Have a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isajbXhJIr0 as Ray Walton searches out barbel on the Avon. There are other videos of Ray and, if you search it out, one with Matt Hayes and Tref West. Tref uses a slightly different technique whereby he weight the hook as opposed to putting some weight up the line.

Enjoy :Hat:
Isn't that what he's doing though? In my untrained eye I see him cast out, take up the slack then alternate between feeling the line and tightening the slack all the while occasionally bumping the meat along by flicking the rod. Apologies if I'm wrong here

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

BreadFlake wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:17 pm
Sorry, I just re-read your post and yes, you are doing it right. Keep at it :Thumb:

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Dave Burr wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:45 pm
BreadFlake wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:17 pm
Sorry, I just re-read your post and yes, you are doing it right. Keep at it :Thumb:
Please don't apologize, you've been a huge help. Thank you, I can't wait to get back out now

Return to “Other Traditional Float Fishing Techniques”