Fly fishing in Italy

General fly fishing chat area.
Stathamender
Tench

Fly fishing in Italy

Post by Stathamender »

Alora ragazzi! The New York Times has decided to introduce its readers to an obscure fishing technique called 'European nymphing' which involves strange things called 'flies' and 'leaders' and they claim is derived from an American fishing style. They do this through a visit to a place in the Dolomite foothills called Bassano del Grappa, a picturesque town about 50 km north of Padova (great place, highly recommended) and known for a) one of the oldest bridges in Italy and b) being the HQ of Nardini the distillers of my favourite grappa.

What they make of this in the Bronx or Queens I do not know but you can find it, and some very nice photos, here: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/10/trav ... italy.html.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Iasgair
Chub

Re: Fly fishing in Italy

Post by Iasgair »

Derived from an American way of fishing? Every decent fly fisher here in America will tell you that is wrong.

You first need to look at the source of this article. NY Times. That should be your first and only clue that the author of this article knows nothing about European nymphing.
Never trust NY journalists.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

kevin55
Minnow

Post by kevin55 »

I did a day north of Florence a few years ago (without visiting Florence) with an Italian Fly Fishing team member as a guide
It rained, snowed and was then sunny, a great day on small rivers using standard nymphs and dries

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Iasgair wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:48 am Derived from an American way of fishing? Every decent fly fisher here in America will tell you that is wrong.

You first need to look at the source of this article. NY Times. That should be your first and only clue that the author of this article knows nothing about European nymphing.
Never trust NY journalists.
If you read my post you will see I am somewhat sceptical about his claims.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Hemingway enjoyed fly fishing in Italy! And that's my full knowledge of the subject!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Fairly typical of a NYT hack to think they know everything and get their facts completely wrong :laugh1:

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Santiago wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:40 pm Hemingway enjoyed fly fishing in Italy! And that's my full knowledge of the subject!
:cheers: To Hemingway.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Iasgair wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:14 pm
Santiago wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:40 pm Hemingway enjoyed fly fishing in Italy! And that's my full knowledge of the subject!
:cheers: To Hemingway.
:cheers:
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “General Fly Chat”