Canal fly casting

General fly fishing chat area.
Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Canal fly casting

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Where should I look for guidance on the best cast for a narrow towpath with a very high hedge?

I have already got the shoulder check to avoid cyclists, dog walkers etc!

Moley
Brown Trout

Re: Canal fly casting

Post by Moley »

Just roll cast that way most hazards will be avoided.

Personally a longish rod delivers the roll-cast better for Fatty but each to their own because no matter how sensible the advice given, without prejudice or financial reward, somone always disagrees...very often just to be bloody minded!

There are some fancy casts like the Steeple and under hand but really the simple roll-cast does what you need.

As ever,...

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Thanks for that- its what I thought and the voice of experience is very useful.

Think I may wait for some more warmth before I try it out

Robbi
Tench

Post by Robbi »

Could you cast along the canal instead of across it.?
"In the back roads by the rivers of my memory"

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Robbi wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:05 pm Could you cast along the canal instead of across it.?
Yes - and of course with both banks cleared , the " far" bank is often exactly like the one I am stood on!
When lure fishing I am always amazed at the fish that take as I lift out at my feet

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

All of the Spey, Switch, Skaggit etc casts are derived from the roll cast and are specifically designed to avoid the perils of obstructions behind you (whilst also allowing a change in direction). Have a look at these and the Jump and Snake roll casts on Youtube. You can't beat one on one casting instruction from someone who can explain these techniques well but the video age has made inroads to casting education.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Thanks for the guidance.I have had a few lessons in the past and think I will try another in the summer.
But roll casts of whatever flavour sounds good

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

If you are right handed you can side cast to 10 o’clock,making sure you have enough loose line in your hand to punch the fly out with the last shadow cast.vice versa if you are left handed.Most of the predators,perch,pike,eels will hog the near drop off,which most of the time is a yard or so from the bank.
There’s also lengths of fly line on the market for adding to the end of the reel line,with different sink rates,so they can be added to a floating line.I guess it saves having to carry spare spools or other reeks.These lengths of line are about 3 yards long,but they can be cut down to whatever size suits.
Perhaps a 2ft length of a medium to fast sink line with its added weight would help punch out a decent line from a short back cast,and it would get the fly down fast too.Where there’s a will………
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

If you can find it get a copy of Lefty Kreh's book 'Casting.' He lists and shows, with amazing photographs, about 100 to 120 different casts, or rather variations on a number of basic casts for fly fishing.

It is an amazing and very informative book.

OldAngler
Perch

Post by OldAngler »

Details of the casting book
Title 'Casting'
Author Lefty Kreh
ISBN 978 1 84689 8
First published in 2008
Price £30 when my copy was bought, however I was given mine so do not know the current price, or even if it is still available.

Return to “General Fly Chat”