What's under cork handle?

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
John_Moore
Silver Bream

What's under cork handle?

Post by John_Moore »

Hello all
I understand that the early B James mk IV carp rods were made with a dowel below the cork handle does anybody know if they carried this on to the later mk IV's or did they do away with the dowel at some point and run the split cane right through?
I have a couple of pre 1955 mk IV's which I have been able to see the wooden dowel prior to carrying out light refreshment but I am reluctant to remove a small section of cork from any of the later models just to check what's below.
All information graciously accepted.
Best to all John.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: What's under cork handle?

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Every one I have recorked has had a wooden or whole cane section under the cork. The sections are usually 18 inches long and the cane is inserted 6 inches into it.
I have wondered if these 4 foot butt sections are also used on some of their 12t three piece rods.

Wal.

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

Thanks for that Wal I would bank on you being right regarding the 4ft butt sections.
I might just micrometer the different B James butt sections just to see.
All the best John.

Lovatt
Perch

Post by Lovatt »

Hello, interesting post, the MkIV' s I have are MkIV Carp 1956/1957 third version with onion handle small shoulder collar, I also have a MKIV Avon fourth version with doughnut handle no shoulder collar or hook keeper.

I needed a new butt cap for my MKIV Avon as the original one had almost rotted away, Ashbycut AKA malcomb came to my rescue and gave me a broken butt end for a third version MKIV after salvaging the butt cap for my Avon's repair I could clearly see that split or built cane on both rods appeared to run all the way through the handles.

The broken third version MKIV Carp handle was later cut in half in the middle of the cork handle for another project, I used it for hexagonal ferrule slitting templates and I could see there was No whole can insert under the handle on the third version MKIV's, it could be the very early MkIV's may have had whole cane insert handles or maybe the rairer built to endure rods or perhaps a select few. Either way certainly not third version 1956/1957 or after that, I hope this helps.

Trevor

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

If you plumb the depth on the handle by sticking a pin into the cork and working along every 3" or so you will probably find a change in the depth. same depth all thro' would suggest cane all thro'. more likely is you will find a change in depth which will indicate dowel or whole cane .

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

That's interesting Trevor. They did increase the sizes of the later versions and I wonder if maybe this gave a similar effect of stiffening up the lower butt section. Or maybe the cane was so large that a dowel would need to be a larger diameter than the usual slim cork handle would allow.

I dont have any pics of a B James rod butt without cork but here is a pic of the whole cane section from a J B Walker Avon rod.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Nice to see an 18" good engineers rule or is it 24"

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

I had a B James Doughnut handle and had to repair some of the corks and that one was built cane all the way through. I bought from the original owner who said he bought it in 1968.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

This could be the reason earlier rods feel more Springy.
Probably lighter too.
Now there's a good online comparison. What does your MkIV weigh ?

Wal.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:57 pm This could be the reason earlier rods feel more Springy.
Probably lighter too.
Now there's a good online comparison. What does your MkIV weigh ?

Wal.
Hi Wal
I weighed mine last year when I acquired a few unknown Mk4's so I thought I'd compare them with my B James versions.
Trumpet handle 383g
Doughnut 339g built cane
Unknown 357g built cane
Unknown with 1 less ring but a 30" handle 325g built cane
The only reason I did this was the last mentioned unknown just felt something nice about it, if only they could talk.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”