Lee Weir?

The Lee & Sons Rods forum.
2wood
Minnow

Lee Weir?

Post by 2wood »

I have acquired another Lee rod. Three-piece split cane rod, 12ft 3in with dark red whippings, 222 cork handle with alloy reel fittings, chromed guides, first eye and tip-top have dark orange agate ring, and maker's transfer above the grip. The type of guides -set-off and "set" in the top section away from the guides lead me to believe this was used in spin-casting heavy tackle not fly fishing. There is a similar rod on the Bay. A threaded hole in the butt end is there for a rubber button. Also, there's an Allcock "Record Breaker" in their 1965 catalogue that sounds similarly built.
Screenshot 2022-02-19 11.13.56 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-02-19 11.14.39 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-02-19 11.15.51 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-02-19 11.11.22 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Lee Weir?

Post by Olly »

The Allcocks Record Breaker is an out and out float rod. I have one.

The Lee looks again like a float rod and has the correct rings for that purpose. It does also have a tip ring capable of using a swingtip or quivertip.

2wood
Minnow

Post by 2wood »

Thanks for your reply. There wasn't a picture of the "Record Breaker" in the 1965 catalog. How well does it match my "Weir"? Here are a couple of measurements of ferrule male diameters: mid male - .5 inches; top male - .3 inches and top bamboo across the flats at tip-top - .12 inches.
Cheers

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Can I ask where it states the rod is called "Weir"? A rod bag perhaps?

Vole
Rainbow Trout

Post by Vole »

I thought Lee's biggest-selling poweerful rod was the "Aquila", which might give you a lead.
"Write drunk, edit sober" - Hemingway.
Hemingway didn't have to worry about accidentally hitting "submit" before he edited.

2wood
Minnow

Post by 2wood »

Currently, a Lee Weir is on eBay

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A Weir rod - - - in a Lee bag!
Description by seller:-
A Lee Weir Product Split Cane Fly Rod 9` 6" 3 piece. Made in Redditch England. A Lee of Redditch manufactures rod bag.
Rather like a B James Richard Walker Avon - - - in an Allcock bag or a Chapman bag or a Weir bag or even a Tesco bag!!

This is sometimes why non-angling sellers name - non-existent rods for sale!

I am sure Nobby will say Lee amalgamated with Allcocks and Youngs to become Top Tackle - - - ?

2wood
Minnow

Post by 2wood »

Hi Oily, You cited the very reason I put a ? after the "Weir". I spent a lot of time searching auction sites, forums, Google for pictures of Lee (Redditch) rods. As you say, the only relationship to Lee that I observed was the Lee on the bag. I know mine is a Lee; I'm guessing post-1960 from the label and hardware. At this point, based on input, I'm betting on "Record Breaker". Awaiting your reply on same. The Aquila doesn't appear to be a fit, based on pictures I've found.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

View pictures of an Allcocks Record Breaker here: - - Rods for Sale at Redditch Tackle Fair. - - on this Forum

2wood
Minnow

Post by 2wood »

:oops: My apologies. Just noticed I said 12 feet, 3 inches. Should have been 10 feet, 3 inches

Return to “Lee & Sons Cane Rods”