Did older poles have elastic?

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Martin James
Eel

Re: Did older poles have elastic?

Post by Martin James »

ExeAngler I have used the elastic set up as pictured for some time, not my idea, it was sorted for me by Tony Booker.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Rod Fisher wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:04 pm Anglers were using elastic with cane roach poles from at least 1906.
https://archive.org/details/fishinggaze ... 5/mode/1up
A very nice link, thanks for posting that.
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Very interesting - long long ago! Not a lot new in angling!!

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

Rod Fisher wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:04 pm Anglers were using elastic with cane roach poles from at least 1906.
https://archive.org/details/fishinggaze ... 5/mode/1up
Thanks for that link, very interesting and somewhat gratifying that our 'modern' solutions are more traditional than we may have thought.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

JAA
Grayling

Post by JAA »

Martin James wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:11 pm ExeAngler I have used the elastic set up as pictured for some time, not my idea, it was sorted for me by Tony Booker.

I made my own flick-tip for a glass-fibre pole, way way in the 70's using stainless steel wire like below:

I tied a double overhand loop in the laccy and pushed the loop though the gap and then pulled it down over doubled end of the wire until it was 'in the loop' as it were.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

The problem with the added tips and loops was the amount of tangles they attract.Having elastic through the middle is pretty much fool proof and, if you want to use a long pole and be able to move at the end of the day, I suggest carbon is a country mile ahead of the opposition. :Scared:

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

I fitted up this old pole after seeing what Aitch had done to his cane pole ImageImageImage. It needed a new spliced tip section so it was perfect for this set up.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

In the mid 1970's, I bought a used 18-foot Garbolino roach pole (1960's vintage), advertised in Exchange and Mart (anyone remember that publication?). At the tip, a loop of 20-lb nylon line had been whipped on, and halfway up the top section, a couple metal clips were whipped on so you wrap the line around them to shorten it. I used an external rubber band (probably used for packaging) for cushioning between the line and the loop at the tip. I even caught tench to 2 or 3 pounds on the Grand Union canal with it.

G B

AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AntiqueAngler »

My very first pole was a Lerc with flick tip.we bought 3 from local tackle shop,I think a fiver each,for myself,brother and uncle(uncle's long gone r.i.p but his pole remains unused jn my shed)We bought them after seeing our club match on river trent won using one for gudgeon bashing(over 5lbs).First time out on river Severn at Shrewsbury my brother used his to win match with 6 lb of roach and big perch.Happy days.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I used to use a six metre flick tip on the Thames when I was a kid. I still have it but haven't used it for decades. Being telescopic it is much easier to use, particularly when the bank is sloping.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”