New rod

General fly fishing chat area.
Iasgair
Chub

New rod

Post by Iasgair »

I had a new rod grace my front door today. I ordered it about two years ago when Covid started rearing it's ugly head and causing part shortages around the world. Patience is truly a virtue.

This rod's taper is based on a Dickerson taper, the 8014, which is an 8 foot two piece rod. My rod has been modified to be 8' 6" three piece rod, so what taper that is, I can't say because I don't know. All I know is, it's a beautiful rod.

The thing that I really like is on the bottom of the butt cap. I had engraved my clan badge on it to make this rod personal to me.

All I need now is a reel and line for it and I have the reel picked out along with the line, but it'll be a while before I can get those things. And as soon as I get the reel and line I will be taking this rod out on the river to fish it the way I planned to fish it with traditional wet and soft hackled flies. That's what the rod was built for.

So get ready for some fishing reports along with photos this year. I have a feeling it's going to be good.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: New rod

Post by Tengisgol »

Fabulous when these plans come together! Looks lovely.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Good luck in christening your new magic wand :Hat: Have you named it "The Munro" by any chance?

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

That looks sweet Iasgir. I am sure you will enjoy using it!
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Liphook wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:09 am Good luck in christening your new magic wand :Hat: Have you named it "The Munro" by any chance?

That's a fantastic idea! I will certainly do that. :Hat:
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Lovely rod! I have a very dear friend whose mother was a Munro, and very proud of the fact. I always rather like the grim directness of the Munro motto!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Enjoy your long wait, hopefully you will get a nice brace on your first day, if not you will enjoy the casting.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

What a beauty, I hope it brings you much pleasure. That looks to be a comfortable looking palm swell you have decided on too.
What reel have you chosen to pair with the rod? or is that a closely guarded secret :holmes:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Duckett wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:02 am Lovely rod! I have a very dear friend whose mother was a Munro, and very proud of the fact. I always rather like the grim directness of the Munro motto!

Phil

Phil, just to let you know, the Munro Clan had many clergy men way back then. I too like the motto and in my earlier years I had thought of being a Pastor. Problem is I'm not good talking in front of people, so I became a welder.

Martin James wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:22 pm Enjoy your long wait, hopefully you will get a nice brace on your first day, if not you will enjoy the casting.
I know just the river where that could happen. But then again, it can happen in any river here.

Silfield wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:57 pm What a beauty, I hope it brings you much pleasure. That looks to be a comfortable looking palm swell you have decided on too.
What reel have you chosen to pair with the rod? or is that a closely guarded secret :holmes:
It's a half wells grip and it's very comfortable. Fits my hand perfectly. The swell helps with the thumb to apply that little bit of extra punch into the cast. But with any cane rod, you let the rod do the work. Though that goes with modern day graphite rods too, but let's not go there.

The reel, well . . . I was going to get an American made reel from the Aspen reel company because they have weight, so balancing the rod wouldn't be hard to do. Even though the Aspens are tough as nails, I got to thinking that a classic looking rod deserves a classic looking reel. So I bought the Pflueger Medalist reel. These reels were first made back in 1931 in Akron, Ohio. They still look vintage, but from what I understand, they are better than before. This is my first Medalist reel, and I'm sort of nervous about it, but I have friends who say that reel and the rod will go perfectly together.

A Hardy reel would be a great choice, but honestly, I can't afford one. I can't even afford Ross reels anymore. But a cane rod needs a click and pawl reel, not a large arbor reel. It just doesn't look right. I'm sure you understand. So going with a reel that has been around since the 1930's and a cane rod, that's about as traditional as a person can get here in the USA. Where the Medalist is made, I don't know. I doubt American. But if this reel doesn't hold up, which I hear they do hold up very well, I will replace it in the future. Maybe a Hardy will be in my future.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I know collectors always gravitate to the Hardy classics but I wouldn't discount the far more affordable and equally practical reels from JWYoung, Sharpes, Grice&Young etc in the 31/4" to 31/2" narrow sizes (I actually prefer a slightly bigger than generally accepted fly reel diameter as I find the cutesy 'midge' sized reels overly slow on the retrieve and bad for inducing line memory on modern lines). If I can help find you one on this side of the pond just ask Iasgair :Hat:

Return to “General Fly Chat”