Unknown Milwards rod

The Milwards Rods forum.
EdNash
Rudd

Unknown Milwards rod

Post by EdNash »

Good afternoon, I am stock-taking which always spells trouble. I have this 3 piece Milwards rod, about 10'6", perfectly straight but requiring a total rebuild. I don't know the model and wonder if anyone recognises it. It has the mid-size high-bells like some chapman 500s, they are dirty but not rusty possibly nickel? not sure. It is a cork wrap handle with brass furniture and has Milwards Made in England on the butt, no stopper but a brass screw-in.
The one odd thing is the tip ring as illustrated with copper whipping to the end.Thanks for looking. Ed.PS I shall upload pics in a mo.

EdNash
Rudd

Re: Unknown Milwards rod

Post by EdNash »

pics

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

These Mystery Millward rods have the ability to consume too much time in nailing down as I have found with one of mine. Mine is a fly rod but shares the same furniture and handle construction as yours. It was a right sorry state when I got it but had a lovely feel to it and is a firm favourite for streams and anything requiring a subtle approach.
Mine too had the fine copper whipping, which was kept when it got a rebuild.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Yours has a lot of potential :Thumb:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Silfield wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:32 pm These Mystery Millward rods have the ability to consume too much time in nailing down as I have found with one of mine. Mine is a fly rod but shares the same furniture and handle construction as yours. It was a right sorry state when I got it but had a lovely feel to it and is a firm favourite for streams and anything requiring a subtle approach.
Mine too had the fine copper whipping, which was kept when it got a rebuild.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Yours has a lot of potential :Thumb:
Thanks for the reply. Odd that copper whipping, I presume it is for reinforcing. The tip ring is horrid! The cane itself is great. I shall do my best with it!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Hi Ed, in the 1938/9 catalogue the rods are all given numbers instead of names and the nearest to yours that I can find is rod No 1091.

Wal.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

That is great Sir, thankyou very much, certainly does look like it. I shall make it beautiful! It is lovely and straight. Those Bells Life rings, does anyone do them now Wally?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I dont think so Ed but Fredline did a post showing a way of making them from high bells life rings. I can't find it right now but if I find the link, I'll post it here for you.
Having said that, the originals will probably clean up like new.
Wal.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Ace thanks, they seem ok one or two a little bent but no major problems. Would they be nickel?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

EdNash wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:00 am Ace thanks, they seem ok one or two a little bent but no major problems. Would they be nickel?
They certainly could be, they are the right age etc. Even plated brass ones will come up nice if soaked in Cellulose thinners to soften the old varnish then buffed up with very fine wire wool.

EdNash
Rudd

Post by EdNash »

Cheers Wally great info

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”