Chub

Re: Boilies and pellets

Post by Tizer »

Eels like bacon grill as well,

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Moley wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:29 pm Fatty gets a 10 kilo bag Skrettin 6mm pellets that lasts most of the year for a tenner.

You don't need to fill the water in like some idiots do......just ping the baits at yer float. Use about six pellets per cast.

So a tenner for a years bait. Not too bad, with even the tightest amongst you cheapskates able to afford them.

Honestly if you lot get any tighter you'll have trouble walking in a straight line.

As ever,...

Moley
I have never used a boilie or pellets.
But wouldn't mind giving the above a go. (seems its just Koi food of good quality)
How do you put it on the hook?
I know the Carp boys have drills and some are softer so they hair rig them on with a baiting needle.
I'm used to the old favourites, Spam Cheese and bread but could use a tip or two on using the above pellets.

Thanks
Mark.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Update…

In Lidl, Cans of sweet corn were cheaper than equivalent weight of frozen stuff this morning .

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A small drill bit - for going thru' hard baits (pellets, hard boilies, and anything hard!).

A baiting needle - lots of variations - latching needle for hair rigs - even worms/maggots- (NB: thick/thin ones for different uses.)

I have used fine/thin - 2mm - crochet needles in the past for hair rigging - they have a small crook at the end.

I also have some pins used for tying tube flies which have several uses from piecing hard baits to untangling knots!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Olly wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:51 pm A small drill bit - for going thru' hard baits (pellets, hard boilies, and anything hard!).

A baiting needle - lots of variations - latching needle for hair rigs - even worms/maggots- (NB: thick/thin ones for different uses.)

I have used fine/thin - 2mm - crochet needles in the past for hair rigging - they have a small crook at the end.

I also have some pins used for tying tube flies which have several uses from piecing hard baits to untangling knots!
Mmm, interesting....
I have a very fine crochet type hook that I lashed out on in my local tackle shop, thought it would be better than my paper clip for Spam! (And a bit of fine grass stalk to hold the hook in place)
I do have some very small drill bits that fit in my drill but are to big for my Dremal.
I just fancied giving the 6mm one's above a go)
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The tiny pellets require very thin drill bits. Instead elastic bait bands could help?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Mr B wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:30 pm
Olly wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:51 pm A small drill bit - for going thru' hard baits (pellets, hard boilies, and anything hard!).

Mmm, interesting....
I have a very fine crochet type hook that I lashed out on in my local tackle shop, thought it would be better than my paper clip for Spam! (And a bit of fine grass stalk to hold the hook in place)
I do have some very small drill bits that fit in my drill but are to big for my Dremal.
If you know how to tie a hair (youtube will have a million 'how to's), you can simply Superglue a pellet or two to the hair and away you go.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A method still used by some Avon anglers - a stiff short piece of nylon.

Or cut a larger pellet/boilie in half - stick together with the nylon in the middle!

Or dip the nylon covered in super glue into the uncooked pot of hemp.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

The simplest way to put a hard pellet to a hook is via an elastic bait band. These can be purchased in any tackle shop.

This is what Fatty does:

1. Take the band out of the container they come in from the shop. Do not tip too many out as they go everywhere and are reet so and so's to plck up.

2. Place your chosen pellet in the band....this can be tricksy. But help is at hand with a bespoke little device that stretches the band allowing the old fool with shakey hands to put the pellet in the band.

3. Now this is the good bit. Place the banded pellet on the hook, either by running the hook point through the elastic band, or slipping the hook under the elastic and resting it on the bend of the hook in both cases.

4. Ping pellets at float, preferably a good Waggler and watch the float sail away to every bite.

5. The hardest part is getting the right sized band for the pellet size.

That's it so simple it makes you weep about all the fish you have missed out on over the years!

As ever,.....,

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Dave Burr wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:54 pm
Mr B wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:30 pm

Mmm, interesting....
If you know how to tie a hair (youtube will have a million 'how to's), you can simply Superglue a pellet or two to the hair and away you go.
Yes... I can tie my own hair rigs...simple.
It was the hardness of the pellet I was thinking about... but glue! And just seen Moleys post... elastic bands.. getting interesting... if not a little complicated...
things we do... drill bits, glue, elastic bands...
All good stuff...
"The scientific Angler" would be pleased. ( Great Book)

Thanks Dave 👍

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”