Information on Dawson 15' kentish special

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
John777
Stickleback

Information on Dawson 15' kentish special

Post by John777 »

Hello everyone
I have just acquired a Dawsons split cane rod at a local auction. It is fifteen feet long and four parts, marked Dawsons of Bromley, "Kentish special"
Does anyone have any info on this rod. I cannot find a single reference to this model online.
In particular what would it be used for, apart from hunting the Loch Ness monster? Any info greatfully rec'd
Many thanks for reading
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stef
Rudd

Re: Information on Dawson 15' kentish special

Post by Stef »

I think it is fibreglass, not split cane. A few years ago I have seen a Kentish Special rod, same configuration as yours, but different maker‘s label, A.C.T. if I remember correctly. It seems to be a float rod.

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Anglers Complete Tackle, Terry Thomas’s tackle shop at Sydenham. Terry leased several stretches of the River Beult, he also had ties with both Marco and Dawson’s. Terry used to push the fifteen footers as being ideal for the deep, wide and slow section of the Beult he leased. And yes the ones I saw were fibre glass.

Stef
Rudd

Post by Stef »

That‘s interesting, JPC, the Marco/Dawson’s/A.C.T connection. Has Terry Thomas built his own rods or has he had them made by Dawson‘s?

JPC
Bleak

Post by JPC »

Going back to the early/mid sixties here Stef. I remember Terry showing the old man and me the 15 foot Kent Special and telling us it was ideal for float fishing his “Kitty” section of the River Beult. I don’t know if he built the rods himself but doubt it, my father knew him quite well and had several rods off him and from what he (my father) said was Terry sent the glass blanks to Dawson’s for building. A real “salesman” was Terry, pretty sure he would tell you anything to get a sale !

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”