Ogden Smith rod, but what is it ?

The Ogden Smith Rods forum.
Old Man River
Eel

Re: Ogden Smith rod, but what is it ?

Post by Old Man River »

Tonkin Wand wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:18 am Had a look at the info I have ammasted and the wand looks a game rod. Salmon rods don't appear much in the empheria I hold.May be requiring a catalog /supeliment upon request to the company? 1939 with illustrations shows trout rods but with conventional short handles with heal end fixings for the reel.Spinning rods are listed to but not with the course rod long handles. Warrior is used across the ranges so no pursific rod can be defined. 9ft with four sections must have an odd feel and with a stiffish action having three sets of ferrules.O.S. made trout and salmon rods in various lengths.Their built cane rods were expensive but so was salmon fishing I guess. The rod would have been built at O.S. factory at Cherry Orchard Road, Croydon. Company and all works and retail outlets..gone. :readnews:

Thank you TW.
It is a three part rod, with a spare tip section as in first description. From another source it seems that OS actually made rods to the customers requirements as well, one offs if you will, so that being the case it leaves the design and /or model wide open to interpretation.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Pond.Olive
Stickleback

Post by Pond.Olive »

I think that it is a salmon fly rod and is from the period when Bob Southwell was making cane nearby, and the cane colour reminds me of Southwell cane.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Pond.Olive wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:02 pm I think that it is a salmon fly rod and is from the period when Bob Southwell was making cane nearby, and the cane colour reminds me of Southwell cane.
I would have thought it is a tad short for a Salmon Fly rod , at less than ten feet long, not an expert on Salmon Fly rods , but most I see are at least 12 feet long.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “Ogden Smith Cane Rods”