Ogden Smith rod, but what is it ?

The Ogden Smith Rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Ogden Smith rod, but what is it ?

Post by Olly »

I did try and find a spare one - took a couple of years and involved buying an old rod being utilised!

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

David, I feel your frustration with the lack of information on Ogden Smith, there just doesn't seem to be much of it out there, as you say.
One appeared in a small bundle of rods I bought a few years ago and information on the maker is something that I have been looking for ever since. ImageImage
Yours looks to have the makings of a very good quality rod, even with those awful tulip tip rings- you should send them here straight away for immediate destruction :Hahaha:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

That looks a corker too Ian👍
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Thanks Peter,
I have not had many opportunities to use it yet but it did land a good tench and an 11lb Common without issue. I had originally planned using it for Chub but have a feeling it started life as a spinning rod?
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Ian we should start an “Ogden Smith “appreciation society.

I have 2 of their rods now, a 3 piece one called “The Warrior” which is a good river Barbel rod,and this much lighter 3 piece which is I think being shorter at 9ft will make a nice rod for small river roaching , or maybe Grayling in the colder months, I have a screw in handle extension that may yet be used. I dont want to fit a permanent extension, nor extend the handle further up the butt section as it will take the rod away from its original configuration.
Your O S looks very nicely finished in green livery , I may just follow suit .

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Thank you David,I would be up for joining a OSAS, as long as it didn't attract any dyslexic terrorists :Hahaha:
Washington Irving

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Silfield wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:34 pm Thank you David,I would be up for joining a OSAS, as long as it didn't attract any dyslexic terrorists :Hahaha:
:Hahaha:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

That looks like it will be a great, characterful rod, once you've worked your magic on it.
I'm envious, a man should have a project or two in reserve, and I'm lacking one at the moment.
:Thumb:

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Banksy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:07 pm That looks like it will be a great, characterful rod, once you've worked your magic on it.
I'm envious, a man should have a project or two in reserve, and I'm lacking one at the moment.
:Thumb:
Thank you David…

I intended to put it aside until the colder months, but got itchy fingers . I have stripped it back, removed the butt sect ferrule for resetting and given the cane which is a lovely honey colour its first couple of coats of Danish oil. I am now Leaving it until I get to use my sons lathe in ten days ( in Germany ) to “adjust” the cork a little .

I am sure you must have something up your sleeve as a project. I seem to remember you were doing a net pole a while ago, maybe construct yourself a few banksticks to keep yourself going :Thumb: There is always room for another bank stick.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Had a look at the info I have ammasted and the wand looks a game rod. Salmon rods don't appear much in the empheria I hold.May be requiring a catalog /supeliment upon request to the company? 1939 with illustrations shows trout rods but with conventional short handles with heal end fixings for the reel.Spinning rods are listed to but not with the course rod long handles. Warrior is used across the ranges so no pursific rod can be defined. 9ft with four sections must have an odd feel and with a stiffish action having three sets of ferrules.O.S. made trout and salmon rods in various lengths.Their built cane rods were expensive but so was salmon fishing I guess. The rod would have been built at O.S. factory at Cherry Orchard Road, Croydon. Company and all works and retail outlets..gone. :readnews:

Return to “Ogden Smith Cane Rods”