Hardy Jock Scott Minnows

Made some other form of traditional fishing tackle.
Jeremy.Airey
Minnow

Hardy Jock Scott Minnows

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Hi Chaps

Just treated myself to a copy of Medlar Press's HARDY BOOK OF LURES and what a fine book it is .
I am also going to treat myself some Hardy Jock Scott minnows so I have reference models for when I make some working models to fish with. To keep everything as "original" as possible does anybody know what wood was used for the body , my guess from looking at how they rigged is it is a hardwood like basswood or linden wood both of which would have been available to Hardy over he lures production window. I really don't want to messup the orignals so over to you guys.
As all lure makers know choice of body material can make a huge difference to the lures action and durability, also how the lure can/needs to be rigged. Although that's a moot point with these lures as they were rigged to breack free the lure body when a fish was hooked to prevent he fish using the lure body to unhook itself (clever fish :Chuckle: ).

Regards
Jeremy

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Hardy Jock Scott Minnows

Post by Olly »

Many current amateur makers have done that.

ABU Toby salmon lures, and other makes and lures used in a similar way, have been adapted in the same way as can found/seen on Youtube.

I altered some of my Tobys a few years ago.

Return to “Making Other Items of Traditional Fishing Tackle”