Harry Carr

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Mike Crompton
Ruffe

Harry Carr

Post by Mike Crompton »

Has anyone come across the Cane rods by "Harry Carr" 10, Kirkstall Road, Leeds.? I have a 10ft 3inch , two piece cane rod. When i bought this off eBay it had high bells intermediate rings. I presumed it was a coarse rod, Roach?. However it has a very soft action and could cast a fly. It having sliding reel fittings further confused me. I reseached the name from the Logo on the rod and found he was active as a tackle dealer from 1910 until 1939?
He wrote regular articles for the 1930 editions of the "Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer" especially in the "Angling Magazine page". it seems he was a keen Grayling fisherman on the Wharfe and he travellled around the region to fish for Perch. It is a most interesting rod with possibly a dual purpose, ie float and fly.
Does anyone know of this Maker? or tackle dealer and if there are any other rods which bear his name. I have restored the rod with new, but used high bell rings replacing the very rusty original ones.
Michael Crompton

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Harry Carr

Post by Olly »

Harry Carr - Yorkshire Post On this day 1936.

https: //www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/on-this-da ... arr-610266

Mike Crompton
Ruffe

Post by Mike Crompton »

That’s most interesting .
I aware of the Yorkshire Post article and will look up the ref in Peter Tombleson’s HTCT book on the Fixed Spool Ree,
Many thanks.
Michael

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Well he comes across as a right twat. Sod the people dying, where's my new gut fly line coming from.

Wal.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:17 pm Well he comes across as a right twat. Sod the people dying, where's my new gut fly line coming from.

Wal.
It's not like you to sit on the fence Wal :Hahaha: :surrender:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:17 pm Well he comes across as a right twat. Sod the people dying, where's my new gut fly line coming from.

Wal.
Very restrained Wal. I’d have suggested to him that he sign up for the International Brigades and collect it himself :surrender:

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Mike Crompton
Ruffe

Post by Mike Crompton »

Many thanks. Have just checked the reference.
Expensive book.
Mike

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Mike Crompton wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:41 pm Has anyone come across the Cane rods by "Harry Carr" 10, Kirkstall Road, Leeds.? I have a 10ft 3inch , two piece cane rod. When i bought this off eBay it had high bells intermediate rings. I presumed it was a coarse rod, Roach?. However it has a very soft action and could cast a fly. It having sliding reel fittings further confused me. I reseached the name from the Logo on the rod and found he was active as a tackle dealer from 1910 until 1939?
He wrote regular articles for the 1930 editions of the "Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer" especially in the "Angling Magazine page". it seems he was a keen Grayling fisherman on the Wharfe and he travellled around the region to fish for Perch. It is a most interesting rod with possibly a dual purpose, ie float and fly.
Does anyone know of this Maker? or tackle dealer and if there are any other rods which bear his name. I have restored the rod with new, but used high bell rings replacing the very rusty original ones.
Michael Crompton
Harry Carr
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

It would have been a very interesting conversation to sit in on if Mr Carr and George Orwell had sat and talked about the impact the SCW had on each other.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”