Milwards?

The Milwards Rods forum.
Cat
Chub

Milwards?

Post by Cat »

Afternoon All, I'm sure there's a post somewhere, but would someone know when Milwards ceased operating as a company please? Regards Cat

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Milwards?

Post by Harry H »

Cat wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:03 pm Afternoon All, I'm sure there's a post somewhere, but would someone know when Milwards ceased operating as a company please? Regards Cat
I can remember reading about it on here a while ago I think it was about 67ish if memory serves.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

I think I read somewhere manufacturing ceased in 1965?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Looking at the 1962 brochure they had a lot going for them - it also show the prices of Mitchell and Intrepid reels amongst loads of other fly lines, etc, etc.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Cat wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:03 pm Afternoon All, I'm sure there's a post somewhere, but would someone know when Milwards ceased operating as a company please? Regards Cat
I understand that the Milwards needle making side of the business carried on for years after tackle making stopped.
With regards to fishing tackle, I think that Jeremy is right and 65 is probably the last year.
Would love to see any reference to trading / manufacturing ( fishing tackle) after this date.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Wanderer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:03 am
I understand that the Milwards needle making side of the business carried on for years after tackle making stopped.
With regards to fishing tackle, I think that Jeremy is right and 65 is probably the last year.
Would love to see any reference to trading / manufacturing ( fishing tackle) after this date.
Have a look at Nobby"s post bottom page 1 :Hat:
viewtopic.php?t=31122
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Excellent! Thank you.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Wanderer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:03 am
It’s moved ownership a few times since the 1970s but Milward needles still exist in British ownership https://www.grovesltd.co.uk/sewing-mach ... 5-pieces-2

Several friends who sew, when visiting my home and seeing rods and reels on display, have asked if they are the same company. Apparently, Milward needles still retain a strong following in some parts of the world.

I own a packet of mixed Milward needles that have passed from my Gran, to my mother to me.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I bought some a few years ago for repairing my umbrella overwrap - - straight tapestry needles and curved repair needles - both go through canvas.

Return to “Milwards Cane Rods”