Angling Star

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Angling Star

Post by Bayleaf »

Is there anyone out there remembers Angling Star, it was a Midlands oriented magazine published by a Sheffield newspaper. Sadly the paper ceased to finance the Star and it ceased publication around 2012/13.

Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Re: Angling Star

Post by Bayleaf »

Forgot to mention, it was edited by Jim Baxter.

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

Remember it well. Although not covering my area it was always a nice read with regular input from anglers like John Essex to name but one. I also seem to recall at some point there were regional editions but it only occasionally turned up in local newsagents.

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

The Angling Star was a fine newspaper. The paper was produced in Sheffield, but covered an area much larger. some fine articles by some
knowledgeable writers in the Star.
Nothing like it today.
It was a sad day when it came to an end.

All the best.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Yes, remember it well, won a prize (I think for a letter) but never collected it. Very informative like the Angling Times before it got swamped with big pictures, general talk about fishing and very little information as how to improve by tactics and baits etc.

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

Bayleaf wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:32 pm Is there anyone out there remembers Angling Star, it was a Midlands oriented magazine published by a Sheffield newspaper. Sadly the paper ceased to finance the Star and it ceased publication around 2012/13.
I will always remember the AS and Jim Baxter for the encouragement he gave me when publishing some of the first articles I had written. I thought it was a great publication with a good range of articles from some great writers, all of them far better and more knowledgeable than I was. A sad day when it closed down.
Jim came down to Notttingham for a day's lure fishing with myself and my mate. It turned out to be the worst day's lure fishing we had all season and the only fish we had between the four of us was caught by Lynne. I'm not sure he was that impressed but he never mentioned it.
I'm currently enjoying his book on waggler fishing that contains a lot of stories that those, like me, whose interests lie in angling past find interesting. :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Post by Bayleaf »

Sadly I lost all my copies in a, sort of, house move and I've never seen any others for sale.

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

An occasional writer in the Angling Star was pike expert and very nice man, Bill Winship. I have fond memories of being invited to Bills parents house for a Castle angling club meeting and get together and had the great pleasure of meeting the late Dr Barry Rickards (who gave us a talk) and Jim Baxter, the Angling Star editor.
The hospitality was first class.

Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Post by Bayleaf »

When Bayleaf was, indeed, a bailiff he had a regular column in AS so was dismayed when publication ceased and sadly have since lost all my copies.

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Bayleaf wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:58 am When Bayleaf was, indeed, a bailiff he had a regular column in AS so was dismayed when publication ceased and sadly have since lost all my copies.
May I make so bold as to ask the name of the regular columnist. ?. :fish:

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”