ABU Cardinal 66's and 77's

The ABU Reels forum.
Rockape
Roach

Re: ABU Cardinal 66's and 77's

Post by Rockape »

Thank you BeechmereLake for the explanation on the handle grip types.

I was never a fan of the torpedo grip on any reel, but I seem to be gathering quite a collection of reels with them, so it's not such a big deal for me now.

Polecat
Gudgeon

Post by Polecat »

Reference the comment about Jim Gibbinson, I read somewhere he also acquired a pair of 77's when he was fishing a pit where he needed to hit long distances.

Mitch300
Roach

Post by Mitch300 »

On the subject of Cardinal 66 and 77 reels, it seems to me that when I turn the handle of my 77, I can feel a slight imbalance, which I think is the weight of the bale arm as it rotates about the reel's axis. The 66 has a smaller rotor, the radial distance of the bale arm from the axis is less, and I don't feel any imbalance when turning the 66's handle. Does anyone else notice this effect, or is it just my 77?

G B

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Mitch300 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:24 am On the subject of Cardinal 66 and 77 reels, it seems to me that when I turn the handle of my 77, I can feel a slight imbalance, which I think is the weight of the bale arm as it rotates about the reel's axis. The 66 has a smaller rotor, the radial distance of the bale arm from the axis is less, and I don't feel any imbalance when turning the 66's handle. Does anyone else notice this effect, or is it just my 77?

G B
If the reel is serviced and slowed down through the oscillation of the axle you should find its perfect, some people put oil in their reels but these Cardinals love a quality grease, polish the axle then grease it before putting it back in and your reel should be fine. A lot of the time these Cardinals run so easy and shake their heads rather alarmingly, you can get rotor wobble and a feel of nothing from the reel, there are several points I attend to to make them work for a living and that means making the reel run smooth but firm, you dont want them "running on" when you push the handle forward, the cardinal 55 was hideous for doing this from new in the box. Just slow the reel down and it should run like a modern day reel of considerable value :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well - I sent off a Cardinal 77 - worse for wear I am afraid - to BeechmereLake yesterday - - the package arrived today!

It was stripped - immediately it seems - - - and replacement parts fitted - - today!!

Repackaged and on its way back to me!! WHAT SERVICE!!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Olly wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:50 pm Well - I sent off a Cardinal 77 - worse for wear I am afraid - to BeechmereLake yesterday - - the package arrived today!

It was stripped - immediately it seems - - - and replacement parts fitted - - today!!

Apparently, Martin sits beneath the letterbox muttering something about his 'precious' and catches all delivered reels before they hit the floor. He lopes into a darkened room and the rest is done through muscle memory alone. Your reel Olly, shall be reborn.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It has been reborn - worthwhile as the bodywork was very good! Possibly my best 77 now!

SooperClooper
Silver Bream

Post by SooperClooper »

Jim Gibbinson was a fan of the 66, But I believe it was the 66X version and also used 44s. I still use 66s on my Gibbinson Clooper Carp rods when trotting baits on the river for pike.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

BeechmereLake wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:44 am If the reel is serviced and slowed down through the oscillation of the axle you should find its perfect, some people put oil in their reels but these Cardinals love a quality grease, polish the axle then grease it before putting it back in and your reel should be fine. A lot of the time these Cardinals run so easy and shake their heads rather alarmingly, you can get rotor wobble and a feel of nothing from the reel, there are several points I attend to to make them work for a living and that means making the reel run smooth but firm, you dont want them "running on" when you push the handle forward, the cardinal 55 was hideous for doing this from new in the box. Just slow the reel down and it should run like a modern day reel of considerable value :Hat:
I don't have your expertise, but my experience with my 44X/66X's is exactly that, good quality grease and plenty of it. Free but not 'running on'. I amdit I'm starting to look askance at a 77X...I may have to buy one.

That said I stripped a 44X I bought and found two broken pieces of a circlip in the grease, so that was a lucky escape.

I bought a '55 as 'they're iconic', used it twice and sold it. Tended to 'run on' and the anti-reverse was coarse. Thought it was horrible. :Hat: :Wink:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:00 am
Olly wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:50 pm Well - I sent off a Cardinal 77 - worse for wear I am afraid - to BeechmereLake yesterday - - the package arrived today!

Apparently, Martin sits beneath the letterbox muttering something about his 'precious' and catches all delivered reels before they hit the floor. He lopes into a darkened room and the rest is done through muscle memory alone. Your reel Olly, shall be reborn.
:Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

Return to “ABU Reels”