River Sow and Trent in and around Stafford & Chapman's 500?

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Cat
Chub

River Sow and Trent in and around Stafford & Chapman's 500?

Post by Cat »

Evening All, I'm wondering if anyone may help with information as to fishing the River Sow in and around Stafford please? Although not from there originally, I grew up there and learned my fishing on the canals and rivers - Sow and Staffs & Worcestershire, etc. Following the death of my Father last March (a Lancastrian, but ended up in Stafford), I'm intending to make the odd sentimental journey (+ need to start clearing the house) and fancied a spot of fishing at places I never actually fished as a kid, most notably Stafford town centre - Sow, The Trent below Essex Bridge and the pool on The Sow below St Thomas's Priory (if anyone knows the latter - bit obscure, my apologies).
I've been trying to research who owns the rights, and believe fishing in the town centre is historically free(?), but no-one seems to know the rights to the other places. Not happy to just turn up and fish (as suggested on one forum (and seemingly with best intentions the individual having made proper enquiries as to access)), but happy to ask if I'm able to find the right person / but I don't want a frustrating goose chase around the town. Any help greatly appreciated.
On another note, if anyone has a nice Chapman's 500 they may be interested in parting with, I'd be very interested in purchasing for the above trips...appreciate it's not the ideal river rod, but it would be used elsewhere too, and I'd like to use some of the monies my Dad left me for something to remember him by. (Chapman's 500 situation non-critical as have too many rods)! I hasten to add, my Dad wasn't a fisherman, but always gave me a lift to the far off places...one of these being a small pond in the hamlet of Marston next to a now closed pub (can't remember the name)...huge perch...but very sadly looked filled in when i eventually found the location and peered across the private field a few year's ago (farm owners claimed they knew nothing)! Regards Cat

Cat
Chub

Re: River Sow and Trent in and around Stafford & Chapman's 500?

Post by Cat »

...I believe there was a severe pollution incident I 2009 that caused a wipe out!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

https:----- //www.stokeontrentanglingsociety.com----/river-sow

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

Hi Cat,
I fished the Sow, Stafford City Centre not long ago. Free fishing for a few miles. I fished from the bank in Victoria Park and caught a few small dace. The river was crystal clear.
Good luck.
Dave F.
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

In Stone we have Bill Cash as MP so very little has been done to protect the Trent. But if you ignore the slight smell of sewage its ok and quiet- with the occasional nice surprise

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you Gentlemen, I think I'll give the Trent at Stone a miss, but will have an amble through Victoria Park at some stage!

Return to “Other Rivers”