A nice new pair of boots.

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Re: A nice new pair of boots.

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

My italian Scarpa boots are just wonderful- but a bit too nice to drag down a muddy fishing track😆

many of the " middle" brands are chinese- but after years of working in appalling conditions for very low wages, chinese workers are rightly demanding more money. Some brands will move to even cheaper areas like Bangladesh- but lets hope some will see a " grown up" market which will pay higher uk prices.

I will never forget the peak of the Wasdale cemetery walk, my Timberland boots realised they were not being worn in a pub and the glue holding the soles on melted
Last edited by Ian.R.McDonald on Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

I just got these all leather uppers and linings, waterproof with a rubber rand and chunky sole at 2 thirds off from Ultimate Outdoors - last pair my size. (9)
I love 'em!

At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

OldRod wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:18 pm I just got these all leather uppers and linings, waterproof with a rubber rand and chunky sole at 2 thirds off from Ultimate Outdoors - last pair my size. (9)
I love 'em!

I like those!
Just looked them up on line... some good deals out there at moment.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Luga00
Brown Trout

Post by Luga00 »

I've been wearing the Berghaus (Brasher) Supalite II GTX for years now and for virtually everything, walking the dog and all my fishing etc. I'm on my third pair and will be buying them again as I love them.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

I think most of the military derived boots such as Altberg and Haix may vary slightly in style but are built to the same specifications . This allows military users to select boots comfortable for their own feet knowing that whichever brand they choose will meet requirements .
Over the last few years l've favoured Haix high liability boots for pretty much everything including mucky farm work . I virtually have lived in them
Having said that , unless l some heavy work planned I've recently started wearing a pair of military surplus Bates Patrol boots . Maybe not quite as suitable for rugged work but they have similar qualities to the Haix but about half the weight!

I
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:09 pm My italian Scarpa boots are just wonderful- but a bit too nice to drag down a muddy fishing track😆
I've been wearing Scarpa boots for over the last ten years and wear them every day. One simply can't beat them for comfort. Even when brand new they barely need breaking in.

If you really want to test your boots I'd recommend a weeks hiking off the paths in Scotland in wet weather. Scarpa boots pass the test every time!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

RBTraditional wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:25 pm Image

These are my pub Brashers Mark I think they’re called country walker… I have the same boots as you for angling and work on the farm….
'Country Traveller'. :Hat:

I never expected the TFF to be a source of fashion tips, but I've just ordered a pair as they look just the ticket for generally knocking about in. :Thumb:
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

My pleasure John… expect to see that photo in the next issue of Countrylife - men’s fashion section :Wink: :Thumb:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

RBTraditional wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:05 pm My pleasure John… expect to see that photo in the next issue of Countrylife - men’s fashion section :Wink: :Thumb:
I missed that post last time...
Nice boots for the "Man about town or country"
I like them.

I do love a good pair of boots.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

Santiago wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:42 am
Ian.R.McDonald wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:09 pm My italian Scarpa boots are just wonderful- but a bit too nice to drag down a muddy fishing track😆
I've been wearing Scarpa boots for over the last ten years and wear them every day. One simply can't beat them for comfort. Even when brand new they barely need breaking in.

If you really want to test your boots I'd recommend a weeks hiking off the paths in Scotland in wet weather. Scarpa boots pass the test every time!
you are quite correct- what am I saving them for? hope my knees have got enough left to wear this pair out and buy some more. No more hiding in the wardrobe

The top of our little Staffs hill is ankle deep in flood water so test enough.
Scots rain sounds good- keep those midges under cover!

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”