Light caster

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Chelsea
Gudgeon

Re: Light caster

Post by Chelsea »

What is joc website? Is he contactable? I know I’ve read about the Frankenstein Wizards he made on this forum and what he’d done regarding the lables… but am I right in that he’d said he’d copied a lable he’d seen years earlier?

Do you know who it was who had also seen a script lable on a rod in tackle shop many years ago? It was mentioned in the lucky strike link you sent regarding the lucky strike on internet.com?

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

ImageImage
Nobby wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:51 am

What the war had done was get aluminium manufacturing off the ground and post war Allcock and others quickly went over the aluminium reel mounts. I'm not aware of any rods being made post war with brass reel bands.

This is another of those questions we should have asked of Tony Croft whilst he was still with us...........
hi Nobby
brass fittings were used post war, i attach a pic of a Record Breaker fitted thus..

....and a question do you have any inf, about a green and gold label? a fat oval not like the gold that was applied upright .could the rod be a pre war Wizard?....... i'll try to do a pic of this as well...G

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Here are some rather poor photos of my Lightcaster which has a spiral script rather than the gold oval along with brass furniture and sliding reel bands. I wonder if this rod precedes the gold oval ones ?ImageImageImageImage

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Catfish.017 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:10 am Here are some rather poor photos of my Lightcaster which has a spiral script rather than the gold oval along with brass furniture and sliding reel bands. I wonder if this rod precedes the gold oval ones ?
It does, by 1936 the Light Caster had a screw winch fitting.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Is it just the perspective of the photo, or is the rod with the black name lettering slightly slimmer than the one with red lettering?
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A couple of pics from the Allcocks catalogues from 1938 and 1953.

Interesting to see in 1938 it was available as a three piece at 7ft 6in long. Also available in Greenheart at 10 bob cheaper than the cane version..

It shows The Light Caster was also available in 1953 with screw winch fittings or sliding winch fittings.

The "eighth wonder of the world" says famous angling author West Country. This is from the 1953 catalogue.

I had a Light Caster once with the line weight 8lb printed on its cork grip. This made me wonder if they were available in different strengths like the Hardy Wanless but I cant any reference to this.

ImageImage

Wal.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I meant to add, these rods were sold in the thousands and many other tackle retailers sold them under their own banners. The spiral script "Light Caster" is usually seen on the rods retailed by others but sometimes they do have an Allcocks stamped butt cap..

Wal.

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Rod Fisher wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:03 pm
Catfish.017 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:10 am Here are some rather poor photos of my Lightcaster which has a spiral script rather than the gold oval along with brass furniture and sliding reel bands. I wonder if this rod precedes the gold oval ones ?
It does, by 1936 the Light Caster had a screw winch fitting.
Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:04 pm The Light Caster was also available in 1953 with screw winch fittings or sliding winch fittings.
Yes, this rod in particular though is clearly pre-war, the spiral script and sliding reel band suggesting pre-1936. A c.1953 rod with sliding bands would have a gold oval.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”