Rapidex with "issues"

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
Wakou
Rudd

Rapidex with "issues"

Post by Wakou »

Hi gang. I recently met a nice chap locally on Facebook market-place who was selling some old Mitchells, I met him and bought them. I asked him if he had any 'pins, and he said he was going through his father's stuff and would tell me if he came across any etc..
Anyhow.. Turns out he had a Rapidex, and I was passing one day, and I bought it. I'm afraid I know little of older 'pins. This Rapidex seems not to spin very freely, approx two turns with a reasonably vigourous flick. Also the little thumbwheel, which I assume is an adjustable drag, seems not to do anything.
(I can't even work out how it WOULD do anything, even fresh out of the shop!)
Any advice is welcome!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Rapidex with "issues"

Post by Tengisgol »

First thing to do is give it all a really good clean. Doesn’t matter what you use really. Kitchen towel and a cotton bud with white spirit, WD40, just get rid of any dirt and dust.

If you can move it, the little flywheel should open up anti-clockwise.

Then just a drop or two of fine oil (sewing machine oil is good).

Then come back.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Watch this space! And thank you Tengisol

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

The little "ThumbWheel" tensions a spring loaded plunger that acts on the spindle thereby slowing the reel drum. Remove the spool and if all the components are present you will see how it works. Does the ThumbWheel turn? If not it's likely it's stuck in the full on position slowing the reel right down.

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Thanks! I took the spool off again, and have worked out how it is "supposed" to work... (there is a hole, dummy!) The spindle is quite worn where the "drag" touches it.. But even when the drag is fully backed off, the reel does not "spin".
To clean it? Brake cleaner? Carb cleaner?
I have an ultra-sonic bath but....
(I put some bits of an old Mitchell in, and it stripped the paint!)

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Wakou wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:14 pm Thanks! I took the spool off again, and have worked out how it is "supposed" to work... (there is a hole, dummy!) The spindle is quite worn where the "drag" touches it.. But even when the drag is fully backed off, the reel does not "spin".
To clean it? Brake cleaner? Carb cleaner?
I have an ultra-sonic bath but....
(I put some bits of an old Mitchell in, and it stripped the paint!)
Hi Wakou
Forgive if it sounds like a teaching you to suck eggs scenario . I would have checked the end float adjustment to get that right and checked the spool and cage for any damage or warping that may be binding . I tend to remove the Grub screw anyway as part of the cleaning process and quite often a good cleaning and proper adjustment does help . I tend to use GT85 when cleaning .
Sometimes very surprising just how much impact a basic clean can have but important not to leave behind any debris from cleaning or cleaning materials.
John

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Thank you Keston.. I was going to order some brake/carb/clutch cleaner anyhow (lawnmower season!), and I will give it a proper flush-out and a gentle dribble of light oil..
(I love GT85, and have some in the shed!)
ps No need for apologies, even grandma was sometimes not sucking eggs the right way.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Have you cleaned out the inside of the spool that the spindle goes in to (cotton bud) and given the housing a good clean? You can use a drop of white spirit or WD40. Then a drop of oil on the spindle and see what it’s like then? Most times you don’t need to touch the grub screw.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Tengisgol wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:32 pm Have you cleaned out the inside of the spool that the spindle goes in to (cotton bud) and given the housing a good clean? You can use a drop of white spirit or WD40. Then a drop of oil on the spindle and see what it’s like then? Most times you don’t need to touch the grub screw.
No, but that is the next thing...

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

Wakou wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:14 pm .....The spindle is quite worn where the "drag" touches it..

Just be careful assuming that this wear, the spindle is recessed by design in the middle.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”