New to this...

General fly fishing chat area.
Wakou
Rudd

Re: New to this...

Post by Wakou »

Thank you! The rod is 8' 6" and is by Daiwa. It is rated #5/6
The reel is possibly not great,(5 spools? why?) but I am sure useable.. I literally have no clue how to proceed. Anyone in Essex fancy a day out with an idiot? All expenses paid, and a reasonable donation to a charity of choice?

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well we now know what you have - a small river/stillwater fly outfit!
1 rod 5# line - 1 reel (1 spare spool) - and a WF5 line to match the rod.
Plus all the other bits inc a good Shakespeare bag.

OK - rod/reel/line first - you have backing to put on the reel - 50m of green 30lb - (this, like on any reel, helps to fill the spool). The fly line is WF5. A thin section followed by a thicker part, which enables you to cast, then a long thin end section - which will be attached to the backing. You have 3 braided leader loops - use 2 of them, one at each end of the fly line. By threading the fly line into the braid - pull the leader loop tight on the fly line (a drip of super glue should hold it firmly together - do not put a lot on as it can make the join brittle).

I will carry on if you wish after this has been completed. :Hat:

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

If you can afford it I would buy a wf6# line because as a beginner you'll most likely find it easier to learn to cast with it, as it will load the rod better than a 5# line . And you'll be more likely to stick with it if you can cast !

The reel sounds like a cassette reel so you can load each of the 5 spools with different types of line , such as floating , intermediate , and sinking! So you won't need to buy more reels for different circumstances .
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

An excellent idea - but shall we try crawling before we walk?

At the moment we can't even set the rod up - - let alone try to cast - - or go into the niceties of different fly lines!

You missed the sink tip and shooting heads! Various lines can be found on that auction site - used expensive ones or cheap and cheerful new ones.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

I cannot help with setting up your fly gear but can offer advice on the Suffolk Stour.I guess you mean the BDAC Henny stretch.The trout will be as common as a Unicorn in a coalmine so you will be casting your fly for Chub and Dace which means no fishing until the 16th.There is a good head of spotty herberts in the upper Chelmer above Little Waltham and these can be fished for during the Trout season.Its very overgrown so a couple of hours exploring would be advisable.
I believe there is casting tuition available at Hanningfield reservoir.Good luck with the fluff flinging!
Hope this helps.

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

I think I love you (all of you!)
And spotty herberts in the upper Chelmer! !!!
xxxx

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

An aside, @Tensigol etc..
A couple of years ago, I was crossing the Chelmer above Little Waltham, (but below the old Ridley's brewery), and thought that it looked very "chubby" and "perchy" I scouted about, and there was above, a little trading estate, and a lovely C16th ? manor-house with approx 7 expensive cars etc outside. It was all closed and quiet, being a weekend. There was also a 1970's house.
I thought.. You don't make THAT sort of money arable-farming in Essex, so I knocked on the door of the nice, modern, brick-built house. The lady answered...
"Hallo, sorry to bother you, but I was wondering who owns the land going down to the river?"
"No bother at all, and yes, we do. Let me call my husband!" (They were both quite old)
Husband arrives, and they are both now in the doorway...
"I was just wondering if you would mind if I fished in your river"
"No bloody fish in there!"
"Surely there must be the odd one or two?"
"No, useless, I gave up years ago"
"O that is a shame..."
(they were both so charming and lovely that I forgot to secure their permission to "stalk" their little stretch for chub etc)
"O! Are you a coarse fisherman?"
"Well, yes, I am, sometimes I am very coarse indeed"
I haven't had the heart to go back and ask again. Perhaps I could borrow or employ a small child, with a jam-jar to ask "Please mister, may I try for some minners and sticklerlybacks?"
(The old farmer used to fish with his brothers and friends for trout, with flies etc.. "no fish in there, sir" )
I repeat, they were both of them, charming and sweet and kind, and not at all 'posh'....

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Wakou not sure where you live but if you wish to contact me I will guest you on my river for a day and set up all your gear and get you casting Martin

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Wakou, I advise you to pull Martin's arm off for that offer (metaphorically speaking, of course!). I spent a day with him last year and learnt a lot. He was also very gentlemanly in his write-up of the day, kindly omitting to mention my overestimating the power of his catapult and launching cubes of luncheon meat way over the trees on the far bank several times.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Return to “General Fly Chat”