Split landing net handle....

Traditional landing nets large and small.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Split landing net handle....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I have a one piece cane landing net handle that has a few splits along it's length. The splits are on the whole quite short and are not gaping. I have only ever used tung oil on the handle in the four years I have had it, it has never been varnished and is I think many years old. I am in the process of whipping wide intermediates along the handle and treating them with clear shrinking dope as I go. What I want to know is once all the whipping is complete and doped can I continue to use tung oil on the handle or will I have to varnish it, which is what I don't really want to do. What are your thoughts?

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Split landing net handle....

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Bamboo isn't absorbant like other timbers, I guess the oil just sits on the top, as varnish will.
I think we tend to apply finishes more for cosmetic reasons?
Varnishing protects whippings and prevents moisture penetrating voids and looks nice.
Over the years bamboo dries out and cane handles probably won't have had the same heat treatment that split cane sections have in rod building.
They will be more susceptible therefore to subsequent drying and splitting.
Best place to store it is a damp shed probably? It may start sprouting leaves though.... :Hahaha:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Thanks jeremy, my fishing shed is dry so i could leave the handle in the garage but then i would forget to take it with me. It looks like i will have to varnish it if i want to keep it in service.

Thanks
BB

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

I was just about to start varnishing my refurb landing net handle after i replied to JC when i noticed a linked article titled Sowerbutts. I had a quick look at the article and was inspired to to add a few little black intermediates. Looks ok to me....
20230711_122338_resize_63.jpg
Thanks
BB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

I love that red and black whipping, very classy.
I’ve done mine with red and green alternate whips, so I will just have to start at over again!

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”