Ideal length handle?

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Buller
Rudd

Ideal length handle?

Post by Buller »

What is the ideal length handle for a large carp net? There is surely a practical length before the whole set-up become just too cumbersome to lug around? I'm thinking 6 feet? Any ideas?

Loop Erimder
Wild Carp

Re: Ideal length handle?

Post by Loop Erimder »

Generally yes 6 foot. However, sometimes an 8 foot would be nice, I guess really all depends on your swim, is it easy access for a 4 foot handle or 5 or could you do with a 8 footer
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

My long handle is just under 6 feet
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

I would say 5 to 6ft is the ideal length, any longer and the weight of the net can make the set up very unbalanced. An ideal sollution would be a handle that has extension sections, rather like a billiard cue.
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

My handle is 5' 6". I'd go up to about 6' 6" max.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Bjp
Chub

Post by Bjp »

my understanding is that longer is better because of the angle of the rod especially when using cane

regards

bjp

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

bjp

You are right, with a net head on my whole net is about 8' 6" to the cord across the open end. With an arm outstretched I think the reach is enough, too much more and the thing becomes so heavy and unwieldy. Well it does to me anyway! For small fish though I use a more modern net and I think the pole extends to about 9'.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Kevanf1
Arctic Char

Post by Kevanf1 »

My handle of choice is now around 40 years old. It is made of aluminium 'D' section tubing and is telescopic. It latches using a brass push in button. I am not sure of it's length but I would think something like 8 foot on its own. It is actually a very nice handle to use and can be perhaps classed as somewhat traditional. I have not seen one like it anywhere else :( So I look after it :)
Currently reading......Go Fishing For Bass and Go Fishing For Skate and Rays both by Graeme Pullen, The Kill Switch by James Rollins, Raspberry Pi Manual - Haynes, 'Make: Electronics by Charles Platt' & the 'Myford series 7 manual by Ian Bradley'

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”