Still no Tench?

This forum is for discussing tench.
Catfish.017
Eel

Still no Tench?

Post by Catfish.017 »

Four blanks in a row now; well not quite blanks as I have caught other fish, in particular some strikingly coloured Perch from the Daw End Canal yesterday evening, fish to ten ounces eager for the maggots that I hoped may end the Tenchless spell. It wasn't to be however as the quite pleasant evening drew to a close with again not a sign of the absentees. Tiny fry dimpled the surface giving the false impression of bubbling along with a very few spatters of rain. I put the weed drag through a few times trying to stir things up, all to no avail. A four ounce Rudd the only other fish to put in an appearance.
Earlier in the week an early morning and an evening session on the little pit at Brownhills went the same way. One could easily conclude that there were no Tench in either of these waters? My arrival at the pit on Wednesday evening coincided with the arrival of three lads intent on catching a Carp. What a hope! After forty five minutes of hammering in bank sticks , tuning bite alarms and showering the water with boilies and three ounce leads, they packed up and left! What a relief!
Maybe the damage was done? I didn't get a Tench. Later on a young fella came by wearing an Angling Trust Tee Shirt. A volunteer EA bailiff. In conversation he revealed that he visits the pool most evenings and the previous evening the Tench had been really fizzing right where I was now fishing! Oh well maybe they will wake up as the light goes? They didn't. And so the malais continues.
It's the weather of course. Or at least some facet of it that the Tench find disagreeable. As I write this post the weather here is as unlike July as it's possible to be, short of snow! Jan, my wife, feels the cold terribly and has just donned a fleece as she settles down with a hot coffee! Sadly there's no sign of it improving anytime soon, the Met Office citing mid August possibly. I think my next few outings will be on the local canals just fishing for whatever comes along.

Return to “Tench (Tinca tinca)”