Cardinal 66 problem

The ABU Reels forum.
John Milford
Grayling

Cardinal 66 problem

Post by John Milford »

I've just bought a 66 from an online seller and disappointingly it is knackered!

While it was described as in "good working condition" it was immediately obvious that the spool did not oscillate, other than an occasional pathetic twitch!

Whipping the cover off immediately revealed that the clamp on the end of the oscillating arm off the main gear was broken and detached from the spindle.

Simple, but unfortunately critical. :(

Obviously, I've contacted the seller, but does anyone know if this is replaceable/repairable?

Screenshot_20230807-133518_Photos~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Cardinal 66 problem

Post by Olly »

It is - Beechmere Lake - is your man.

He has repaired several of my both 66s & 77s - a couple I think with the same fault. It is not an uncommon issue.

He is quick and highly efficient in his work!

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Olly wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:48 pm It is - Beechmere Lake - is your man.

He has repaired several of my both 66s & 77s - a couple I think with the same fault. It is not an uncommon issue.

I'll second that, I have a 55 that Beechmere lake sorted for me, it's better than new now.

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Does he do closed faced ABU reels? I have about half a dozen 506 that are in need of some form of TLC.

Marc.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

No - - - there is a chap on Facebook that does only Abu 5 series reel. I cant remember his name at the moment lives in the Midlands/North somewhere!

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Update on my 66.

I've come to an equitable arrangement with the seller who, in fairness, didn't know anything about reels and sold it in good faith. That alone makes me feel better!

It occurred to me that the broken fitting isn't a component that operates under heavy stress and it might be possible to effect a repair.

Simply easing what remained of the clamp back into position got the spool oscillating again, but the two halves of the clamp would gradually move apart at speed.

I managed to cure that by securing them together with a firm twist of 60 lb Efgeeco 'Tidecheater' single strand wire. Not very elegant, but certainly strong.

I stripped off the old line and re-spooled with new and checked the repair afterwards. Everything was still firmly in place. :Thumb:
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

John Milford wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:09 pm Update on my 66.

I've come to an equitable arrangement with the seller who, in fairness, didn't know anything about reels and sold it in good faith. That alone makes me feel better!

It occurred to me that the broken fitting isn't a component that operates under heavy stress and it might be possible to effect a repair.

Simply easing what remained of the clamp back into position got the spool oscillating again, but the two halves of the clamp would gradually move apart at speed.

I managed to cure that by securing them together with a firm twist of 60 lb Efgeeco 'Tidecheater' single strand wire. Not very elegant, but certainly strong.

I stripped off the old line and re-spooled with new and checked the repair afterwards. Everything was still firmly in place. :Thumb:
That sounds like a recipe for later disaster…I’d bite the bullet and get it repaired properly if I were you.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Marc wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:02 pm

Does he do closed faced ABU reels? I have about half a dozen 506 that are in need of some form of TLC.

Marc.
Marc, these are really simple reels to take apart, re-grease and put back together again. There are some great YouTube videos that show you step by step. Speaking from personal experience, this is definitely something you can DIY.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Tengisgol wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:14 am
Marc wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:02 pm

Marc.
Marc, these are really simple reels to take apart, re-grease and put back together again. There are some great YouTube videos that show you step by step. Speaking from personal experience, this is definitely something you can DIY.
I'll bite the bullet and have a go with one. Inspired...
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It does need the correct part - - otherwise the current situation may re-occur - perhaps when you are playing a PB! Disaster!

Return to “ABU Reels”