Sea Streak Subtleties

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Rockape
Roach

Sea Streak Subtleties

Post by Rockape »

I guess I am really directing this question at Stingray, but I have a standard red Sea Streak without any embossed Morritt text on the sideplate, and was wondering if this was the final iteration of this red model.

I say this because the Carbon model is the same in this respect and that was the last version made.

Here are some photos of my first and second versions and my no text version:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rockape
Roach

Re: Sea Streak Subtleties

Post by Rockape »

Love the early packaging for these:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Rockape wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:05 pm I guess I am really directing this question at Stingray, but I have a standard red Sea Streak without any embossed Morritt text on the sideplate, and was wondering if this was the final iteration of this red model.

I say this because the Carbon model is the same in this respect and that was the last version made.

Here are some photos of my first and second versions and my no text version:
Yes, Rockape, the no text is definitely a late model from the 1970s, will have shipped in the Gladding style box. It also replaces the proper spring-loaded ball bearing oil nipples with those nylon things. Don't know how well those nylons work as I always do strip down reel lubes anyway.

There are a few more indicators of early Sea Streaks I can think of: ribbed foot, chrome type and, only on the very earliest, a flat rather than 3D ratchet selector. I'll dig them out some time.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Rockape wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:21 pm Love the early packaging for these:
Yes, I love those boxes. Cleverly doubles as display material for the retailer too. Always reminds me of the boxes Dinky used to ship their James Bond Aston Martins in back then: ejector seat, machine guns, bullet proof screen etc,.

I think there were three box types. This one (the best :Thumb: ), a plainer card one which is actually quite good and the more lightweight Gladding one.

There are a couple of different versions of the instructions booklet too.
Last edited by Stingray on Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Stingray wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:55 pm
Rockape wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:21 pm Love the early packaging for these:
Yes, I love those boxes too. Cleverly doubles as display material for the retailer too. Always reminds me of the boxes Dinky used to ship their James Bond Aston Martins in back then: ejector seat, machine guns, bullet proof screen etc,.

I think there were three box types. This one (the best :Thumb: ), a plainer card one which is actually quite good and the more lightweight Gladding one.

There are a couple of different versions of the instructions booklet too.
Thanks for the info Stingray.

Yes, the one in the early display box has the ribbed foot (by the way, I loved that James bond Corgie DB5; mine was the first gold version, and was always packed carefully back into it's box after use, now that is something I regret letting go of).

On the Booklets; I have been searching for an early booklet for some time now (any idea when the booklet changed?). Rather annoyingly, before I had my eye on owning a Sea Streak (I was inititially just going to collect the fixed spool models), I saw a really nice early booklet on ebay, but decided to leave it (kicking myself now).

The reel pictured with the sideplate text and plastic oil nipple has a really nice condition Gladding box; just a shame Gladding made them look so bland, the no-text reel also has a rather less attractive Gladding box which I had obtained previously.

It took me a while to find reels with pristine or near pristine cages, as most (as you know) have suffered from severe corrosion.

Didn't know about the earliest ratchets levers; I will keep my eyes open for one.

I have a fourth mid 70's Sea Streak which I plan to use in anger at some point (and get that 'Sea Shriek' audio experience..lol!).

Thanks again for your very helpful comments.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Rockape wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:35 am

Thanks for the info Stingray.

Yes, the one in the early display box has the ribbed foot (by the way, I loved that James bond Corgie DB5; mine was the first gold version, and was always packed carefully back into it's box after use, now that is something I regret letting go of).
Ah- yes. Corgi not Dinky of course.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Rockape: The flat ratchet selector is actually pictured on that version 1 display box you have there and is also in the instruction booklet. They changed the reel but not the picture.

The flat selector was weaker and harder to use than the usual 3D. Also, I have tried to repair a very early Sea Streak with a flat selector in the area of the ratchet commponents using bits from a later reel and found something didn't quite fit (can't remember what). Looks like Morritt addressed some teething problems there.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Stingray wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:16 am Rockape: The flat ratchet selector is actually pictured on that version 1 display box you have there and is also in the instruction booklet. They changed the reel but not the picture.

The flat selector was weaker and harder to use than the usual 3D. Also, I have tried to repair a very early Sea Streak with a flat selector in the area of the ratchet commponents using bits from a later reel and found something didn't quite fit (can't remember what). Looks like Morritt addressed some teething problems there.
Ah...yes, I hadn't noticed it before you pointed it out; not a great intial design, but I will see if I can lay my hands on one, thanks again Stingray.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

One other question I forgot to ask you Stingray (or from anyone elses memory), is did these later Gladding reels come with line filled spools, as I obtained two near mint later ones that had spools filled with pink line; just a coincidence or factory supplied I wonder?

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Hi, Rockape. Sorry for the delay. I don't think the manufacturer ever supplied them pre-filled with line. I suppose it is possible that some enterprising retailer did it but most likely is the owner thought it was a good idea and went for the reddest tackle on the beach award. Makes old streaky a bit too red for me I must say :Angry: but the fish won't mind.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”