Which Epping Forest ponds contain Pike?

This forum belongs to other pools and lakes.
The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Which Epping Forest ponds contain Pike?

Post by The Tuesday Swim »

Gents, I may try for a pike tomorrow in Epping forests an autumn walk and a quick cast, which ponds contain such species?

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Re: Which Epping Forest ponds contain Pike?

Post by Deaf Cat »

No knowledge, but some suggestions here

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-t ... %20Map.pdf
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

Ian.R.McDonald
Chub

Post by Ian.R.McDonald »

I think it was Gibbinson that said "pike thrive on neglect"- a sensible question might bring a flood of people to fish a certain water

I fished Hollow Ponds and the Eagle in the 70 s and already the size of Pike had started to drop (believe Eagle is now no fishing)

there seems to be a direct link between fishing pressure and the size of Pike

am 30 years out of date- but have you tried the Roding?

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

Well I did make a short trip to Epping with my step son of eleven and we both had 'takes' on lures but lost both fish!

I did get to try out my new Optomatic though...love the bail arm mechanism works perfectly for constant casting.

We were on Baldwins.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

Sorry Tad just missed ou with this question. Goldings up the road from Baldwins does have a pike, at least 1...

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Tadpole wrote:Well I did make a short trip to Epping with my step son of eleven and we both had 'takes' on lures but lost both fish!

I did get to try out my new Optomatic though...love the bail arm mechanism works perfectly for constant casting.

We were on Baldwins.
Tadpole, lucky the forest ranger did,nt see you, Epping forest lakes and ponds no lures/spoons or spinners allowed :chuckle:

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

ljm183 wrote:
Tadpole wrote:Well I did make a short trip to Epping with my step son of eleven and we both had 'takes' on lures but lost both fish!

We were on Baldwins.
Tadpole, lucky the forest ranger did,nt see you, Epping forest lakes and ponds no lures/spoons or spinners allowed :chuckle:

Blimey, could have been porridge? I wondering what the actual reason is?

DaveM
Rudd

Post by DaveM »

I wouldn't worry too much tadpole, it sounds like the pike and perch were quite safe
anyway :chuckle:
We've all done something like that at sometime without knowing.

Bigoll
Silver Bream

Post by Bigoll »

I imagine the forest was resplendent in its autumn colours, Tadpole. I was thinking of going there on Saturday but the constant rain put me off. Baldwins does, reputedly, contain a few pike (I imagine at the heavily reeded end), and Connaught and Wake Valley surely do. I'm not sure why all artificial lures are banned on the forest waters thought suspect it has something to do with keeping barbed trebles out of the ponds as they can damage all of their inhabitants. Live baiting it also banned, though I have previously re-cast the odd small rudd/roach on the off-chance a predator might take an interest. But I've never caught a pike in the forest so couldn't say what the best tactics might be within the rules.

I'd take the official list of stocked species with a pinch of salt as the forest managers have very little idea what's in there or how to manage the stocks. Many of the supposedly fishable ponds contain either nothing or just silvers. Others contain big heads of koi and other alien species that are rarely removed.

As for pike on the Roding, there are lots up past the M11 but I've never had a sniff further south than that. That said, I've seen signs of them, so they probably are there.

The Tuesday Swim
Grayling

As ever Epping is lovely at this time of year even if one is breaking the rules...oooppsss!

Said culprit....

Return to “Other Pools and Lakes”