B James MK1V Carp rod with a loose fitting ferrule

The B. James & Sons Rods forum.
David
Dace

B James MK1V Carp rod with a loose fitting ferrule

Post by David »

Hi all. I have just acquired a B James & Son MK 1V Carp rod. Although the over varnish has become a bit dark the rod is in fantastic condition. It has however got a loose fitting joint between the male and female ferrules I would like to ask other members the best way to tighten the fit of the ferrule. This is my seventh B James MK1V and apart from this ferrule was a fantastic bargain, It has its original bag with B James badge and is also in superb condition It cost £130 All original fittings are in great condition as is all the writing. There is no damage to any of the whippings. The rod, apart from the ferrule and extra varnish is, as it left the factory. It is perfectly straight. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :Wink:
Last edited by David on Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fredline
Tench

Re: B James MK1V Carp rod with a loose fitting ferrule

Post by Fredline »

For that standard of rod I would remove and reset the ferrule.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

David
Dace

Post by David »

Hi Fredline Thank you. I am afraid I didn't explain the problem correctly. The loose fit is the join between the two sections, and not how it is attached to the cane. I have now corrected my mistake.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

There is no movement at all in the individual ferrules but there is wear which is causing knocking?
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

David
Dace

Post by David »

Hi No effort needed to put the rod together and if you waggle it about you can feel it moving, is that what's called knocking?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Rub candle wax on the male ferrule, but be careful as you won't need much.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

David
Dace

Post by David »

Thanks Santiago I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes

David
Dace

Post by David »

Thanks Santiago, that candle trick certainly makes a tight fit. I can still hear a slight noise when I waggle the rod but at least the joint holds tight. This rod apart from ferrule, is in fantastic condition. I now have = 4 B James & Son MK1V Carp = 2 MK1V Avon & 1 SU MK1V along with = 2 J B Walker SU Carp = & 1 J B Walker MK1V Carp These 3 J B Walker rods were Kit rods that I have totally rebuilt. These 3 rods all have a dowel section in the handle
Last edited by David on Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

David wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:18 pm Hi No effort needed to put the rod together and if you waggle it about you can feel it moving, is that what's called knocking?
If you put the rod together and hold the female ferrule with your forefinger and thumb where it meets the wraps, now gently waggle the rod. If you can feel nothing move then it is just general wear and tear between the ferrules. It sounds like you have already solved it. Well done.
John Bickerdyke.

David
Dace

Post by David »

Thanks again Fredline. This also adds to my knowledge so I have taken your suggestion on board for future problem solving.

Return to “B. James & Sons Cane Rods”