Interesting Shaped Sealey Hooks.

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Interesting Shaped Sealey Hooks.

Post by Mr B »

I took delivery of this box of hooks this morning.
They were going for a very good price (£2.00) so I couldn't resist it. 100 in a box.
I knew they were barbed but I will shut that with a pair of pliers.
I got them in size 4. (Kirby)
I didn't relies at the time what shape they were!
Any ideas what they were intended for? Worm hooks? Looks like they might be good with a big bread bait for Chub.. (bit light for carp?)
They are model number 1742.B

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Hovis
Tench

Re: Interesting Shaped Sealey Hooks.

Post by Hovis »

Well what an interesting pattern. I've no idea when sealey stopped trading but assume it was before the early 80s and the introduction of the "bent hook" rig. This carp specific pattern was as you'd expect, a bent hook. Typically made from a long shank hook before being bent in the vice or with pliers. It was exceptional at turning into a carps mouth but was banned from many venues due to its ability to cause mouth damage. Your hook looks similar, although the bend is a curve and the angle more acute than the typical type.
Whatever it is, it's interesting!

Edit - how big are they? Possibly a sea fishing "circle" hook. The patterns been around longer that many people think.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Hovis wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:49 pm Well what an interesting pattern. I've no idea when sealey stopped trading but assume it was before the early 80s and the introduction of the "bent hook" rig. This carp specific pattern was as you'd expect, a bent hook. Typically made from a long shank hook before being bent in the vice or with pliers. It was exceptional at turning into a carps mouth but was banned from many venues due to its ability to cause mouth damage. Your hook looks similar, although the bend is a curve and the angle more acute than the typical type.
Whatever it is, it's interesting!

Edit - how big are they? Possibly a sea fishing "circle" hook. The patterns been around longer that many people think.
Thats interesting.......
The box says size 4. I have put one next to a size 4 (old size.. I'm lost with hook sizing now)
The bend looks a size 4 its the shank thats odd.. yes, a bit like a circle hook. They are in perfect new condition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Well, it certainly doesn't help identifying these hooks, but they look like oversized tanago hooks.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

They look like plastic worm hooks to me. An American pattern used for Texas rigging possibly .
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

I would say they are a sea fishing hook, possibly even a long liners hook.

That said, I think it will be very unkind to the fish if you were to use them anywhere in the UK!

I'd send them back and buy a couple of packs of the appropriate Drennan hooks to suit your water/species

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Interesting comments gents, all of them.
I looked up the Tenago hooks and I can see were your coming from...
The long line hooks.. to small really unless it was for small fish...(there about an inch long.)
I go sea fishing so they wont be waisted.. my pal in Weymouth has all ready ask me for some for Bream fishing... its catch and cook.
I'm hoping one of our "Merry Men" ( TFF'r) might have an Edger Sealy catalogue with them listed?
I also know what Santiago is saying about a plastic worm hook.
I think these hooks could be quite deadly.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Interesting hooks. I recall seeing my first circle hooks and wondering just how they can work but, I soon found out that they are very effective. These probably fall into a similar category. Due to their similarity to the banned bent hooks of old, I can see you being chased off any carp water by a mob of tattooed men waving pitchforks and firey torches at you. However, in the winter when chub fishing and expecting few bites, I have been known to use a circle hook in an effort to make that single bite count :Wink: But not a word to anyone - shhhhhh.

I had to look up Tanago hooks and I did wonder if I have ever tied a size 26 hook? I seem to recall some size 22's but an 18 has been my smallest for many, many years.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Dave Burr wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:43 pm Interesting hooks. I recall seeing my first circle hooks and wondering just how they can work but, I soon found out that they are very effective. These probably fall into a similar category. Due to their similarity to the banned bent hooks of old, I can see you being chased off any carp water by a mob of tattooed men waving pitchforks and firey torches at you. However, in the winter when chub fishing and expecting few bites, I have been known to use a circle hook in an effort to make that single bite count :Wink: But not a word to anyone - shhhhhh.

I had to look up Tanago hooks and I did wonder if I have ever tied a size 26 hook? I seem to recall some size 22's but an 18 has been my smallest for many, many years.
Again... interesting Dave...
Some of the small minuscule hooks on line I didn't know they excited!
To be honest a barbless hook ( or flattened barb) is not difficult to remove.
Our fish given the choice would prefer no hook at all while there enjoying there lunch. We Angler's have to live with that.
It dose seem though that the shape can increase hook ups.. perhaps thats what Mr Sealy was aiming at?
In anticipation.
Mr B

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Mr B, with respect, I think you are trying to justify a old hook pattern which should not be used, and quite frankly should be thrown in the bin, that is why they were only £2 for 100 !

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”