Milbro, small tin for odds and sods.

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Old Man River
Eel

Milbro, small tin for odds and sods.

Post by Old Man River »

Well, it isnt really, its a vintage tin container for Milbro air rifle pellets, which is about to be recycled into a useable tin for odds and sods.
I particularly like this one as it has its original sticky label showing the price being 1/6d , putting the tin as being pre 1971, at least 52 years old .

MIlbro must have been involved in either making or distributing air rifles and other linked articles, which I did not know. My only other 2 Milbro vintage tackles are a Milbro Prefect fibreglass rod, and a Milbro Trophy ferruless fibreglass rod which I purchased from Bennets of Sheffield probably back in the late 60’s .

Does anybody else have any articles from tackle companies that were not directly connected with angling or vice versa ?

David .
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Re: Milbro, small tin for odds and sods.

Post by Homer Simpson »

Can’t remember any milbro air guns, always assumed the link was lead (as in split shot and pellets).
For price comparison, I bought a tin of 500 pellets for £15 a few months ago.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

My aunt worked at Marco in Grantham making artillery shells during the war. And I believe that the factory was still making small arms well into the “70s
Not sure how they got into fishing tackle, but don’t think it was ever made in Grantham.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I had a Milbro Air pistol.. built on the same principle as "The Gat" fired darts and pellets as in your tin..177. Got it for my 11th birthday.
Not sure though if this is a topic discussed on TFF? It was a weapon as such, bit of fun.
The handle got broken and my dad sent to back to Milbro in Motherwell Scotland and the replaced the hande free of charge.
I had a few Milbro rods too... always liked them.
I read a story in there catalogue all about a rod..
in fact if I remember rightly it was just called a story of a rod.
Milbro Commander Boat rod... I read it and had to get one!!! ( I did a fair amount of boat fishing)

Mr B
Ps
My rods were
The Enterprise 13ft hollow glass match rod I think, glass to glass joints.
The Mermaid
And commander with Roller tip. ( I changed the tip for an Aftco roller tip)
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Dont forget the Milbro catapult. They must have made a million of them.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:25 pm Dont forget the Milbro catapult. They must have made a million of them.
Dont get me started on catapults!
Had a few Milbros and still got one.... and a new modern stainless steel type and a card template to make one!!!!!
Do we ever grow up!!!! I don't think so, great being a bloke!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Mr B wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:38 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:25 pm Dont forget the Milbro catapult. They must have made a million of them.
Had a few Milbros and still got one.... and a new modern stainless steel type and a card template to make one!!!!!
Mr b, completely off topic but what is that rod bag? I really like it

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

BreadFlake wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:29 pm
Im not sure mate... had it for years...
It has a length of wood in one side of it to keep it nice and upright..I really don't know?
Its a good strong rod hold-all though..
I will look fir any clues...

BreadFlake
Perch

Post by BreadFlake »

Mr B wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:04 pm
It has a length of wood in one side of it to keep it nice and upright..I really don't know?
Thank you, that would be great. It looks lovely and traditional

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

BreadFlake wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:07 pm
Mr B wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:04 pm
Thank you, that would be great. It looks lovely and traditional
Good morning BreadFlake,
I have been informed in a PM by a experienced TFF'r and traditional angler that the holder is an Efgeeco like his own.
Keep your eye out for one, there a great bit kit.
Thank you.

Mr B.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”