The upper Arun from the river

This forum belongs to the other rivers.
Kev D
Chub

The upper Arun from the river

Post by Kev D »

Taking advantage of a bit good weather l took my recently completed DIY fishing canoe onto the Arun for water trials.
The dog and l headed upstream with the the rising tide intention of reaching the tidal limit and riding the flow back when it ebbed.
20230902_162247.jpg
20230902_165055.jpg
20230902_220901.jpg
20230902_181745.jpg
Upstream the channel became more overgrown ,snaggy and reed choked . 200 years ago this was a working barge route. This was one of the more minor obstructions !
20230902_222431.jpg
Pallingham Quay . Once the site of a barge workshop and pretty much the tidal limit. Due to pressing needs we wiggled a bit further upstream to a place where the bank was suitable for a brief stretching of the legs before the downstream journey.
20230902_184941.jpg
The remains of entrance to the Arun Navigation.
20230903_232901.jpg
We came back in the dark ; keeping to the fast moving sliver of silver in the centre of the river and avoiding the ambiguous jumble of flanking shadows and reflections cast by the overhanging trees.
20230919_151214.jpg
Most importantly ,despite the rather suspicious sediment in the water l did see fish in various numbers along the whole length .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

MWithell
Chub

Re: The upper Arun from the river

Post by MWithell »

Funnily enough I intended fishing the Arun at Pulborough last Friday but decided I didn't like all the streamer weed and fast current, so I got back in the car and went to the club lakes near Ashington instead!
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I managed a 1 mile section of the Tidal Arun right bank below Pulborough, opposite the Pulborough Brooks, owned by a concrete company. Some good pike in it plus a run of seatrout. Also bream, carp and most other coarse fish.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

There are some very good fish in there but I just don't like that kind of fishing these days. I like still waters, preferably with float or floating crust.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Love that canoe Kev. What's it skinned with, canvas.

Wal.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just realised that the Arun canal joined and went to the river Wey near Guildford.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Great Photos and a great looking canoe!
That must have taken some time to build?
Were they your own plans?
The river looks interesting but as you said overgrown and t in places.
A fantastic way to explore and the dog enjoyed it too!
I keep meaning to have a dabble on The Aran using my Marco Arun..
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Olly wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:48 am I managed a 1 mile section of the Tidal Arun right bank below Pulborough, opposite the Pulborough Brooks, owned by a concrete company. Some good pike in it plus a run of seatrout. Also bream, carp and most other coarse fish.
Was that Cemex or something like that?
Before they ,or whoever, took it over My local club rented that stretch. One member had several pike over 30lb.
My best was only 14 1/2 lb ; but I l did catch it twice in the same day. I know it was the same fish because it only had one eye!
Sadly the Club didn't think it was getting enough attention from members so let it go. Which was a big blow to me and the few other members who did actually fish it.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:34 am Love that canoe Kev. What's it skinned with, canvas.

Wal.
Yes Wal, canvas .Hence the beach mats to protect the inside.
To be honest it looks better from afar . My woodwork is er "functional". :Hat:
20230902_221756.jpg
We were a bit naughtily about 50 yards above the limit in these pictures but needed to stretch our legs .
The footbridge in the background was a site of tragedy some years ago . Two kayakers riding the winter floods got hung-up in the submerged railings and drowned.
20230902_183238.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Mr B wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:20 pm Great Photos and a great looking canoe!
That must have taken some time to build?
Were they your own plans?
The river looks interesting but as you said overgrown and t in places.
A fantastic way to explore and the dog enjoyed it too!
I keep meaning to have a dabble on The Aran using my Marco Arun..
Mr B
Thank you Mr B.
As l told Wal though ; it looks better from afar.
l made one similar about 14 years ago founded on blind optimism and enthusiasm instead of a plan. The Mk2 is just a smaller,lighter and slightly straighter version.
It didn't take too long to build. A couple of hours here and there over 3 or 4 weeks maybe. A lot of time was spent waiting for glue to set ,canvas to stretch and paint to dry.
Now l know she floats l'll get on the river with a rod.

Return to “Other Rivers”