Replacing broken rod-eyes

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
SussexMan
Bleak

Replacing broken rod-eyes

Post by SussexMan »

Here in South Sussex, these days it seems very difficult to find any tackle shop willing to perform the above. Can anybody recommend a shop (or even a TFF member, as long as it does not infringe TFF protocols...) willing to perform such a service, please?
Any pointers gratefully received.

Mike Crompton
Ruffe

Re: Replacing broken rod-eyes

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi,
Do you mean the rod rings or the inserts in tip and butt rings? If it is the entire rod ring then this might help. The replacement of agatine or similar inserts is beyond my knowledge and skill level.
I too have had this problem in the past and learnt how to whip on replacements rod rings being unable to find a tackle shop willing to undertake such a task.
It is not too difficult to replace rod rings. These are rod rings available on eBay as are whipping threads. There are guides as how to do this on YouTube.
All you need is time and patience. Practice the whipping before you attempt this on your rod.
You may find that you will enjoy restoring rods. A splendid activity for the cold winter period.
Mike

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

SussexMan wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:26 pm Here in South Sussex, these days it seems very difficult to find any tackle shop willing to perform the above. Can anybody recommend a shop (or even a TFF member, as long as it does not infringe TFF protocols...) willing to perform such a service, please?
Any pointers gratefully received.
There are a number of very good rod refubishers on the forum…. Wallyscast and Jeremy Croxall are two names that spring to mind
….
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

As said there are some very competent rod builders/restorers.

If it is just one ring it is really worth doing it yourself. A tip ring - butt ring - or the high Bells on a float rod?
All available on line from 'guidesnblanks' via Google. Or perhaps from here?

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

Old angler - Rod Storey probably lives closest to you, he's just across the Hampshire border in Emsworth
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

You have PM.
Mike

SussexMan
Bleak

Post by SussexMan »

Afternoon all, sincere thanks to all for these kind responses. Limited manual dexterity (arthritis ridden) means that TFF will always be indispensable to me!

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I'm near Worthing. I'm no expert but I've made several of my own rods in the past. If it's a straightforward job I might be able to help.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

SussexMan
Bleak

Post by SussexMan »

Many thanks for the kind offer Malcolm, with sincere apologies for failure to reply earlier. I have found a TFF man to oblige me. Kind regards, J.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

No problems. Glad you've got it sorted. Keep in touch, though, as we're obviously not far from each other.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”