Aerial Match

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Mark99
Perch

Aerial Match

Post by Mark99 »

Hi Guys,

I acquired this eons ago (30 years?) and have not used it. A few questions - be gentle with me as a newbie centrepin type. I want to learn how to use it. It spins very well. I know it needs a wipe clean - just out of storage. 4.5" dia.

How old is it?

Is the lineguard original? (looks added - also the ratchet knob looks replaced - but it all works)

Finally - the dumb question; is it wound using left hand and wound in so the line comes off the bottom of the spool or top?

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: Aerial Match

Post by Barbelseeker »

Line guard looks added and the ratchet handle is incorrect and looking at the guard position I'd say the line comes off the bottom

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Ok so…

If you’re right handed then wind with the handles on the left with the line coming off the bottom of the spool
The reel originally would have been designed for RHW (the ratchet mechanism will be stronger in reverse than forward) if you turn it round to fish LHW ( which the added line guard was designed for) then the ratchet will be wrong but don’t worry about that at this stage it won’t stop you catching fish.

It’s been modified but ok to fish with as it is. The downside is that they are not the easiest starter reel as the “spool” is so shallow that a difficult or gusty wind will be hard to manage.

As always have a go and then take it from there.
Feel free to come back to me if you need to

Kevin

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

Thank you guys. Do we know the age roughly? 1940's?

Humber67
Gudgeon

Post by Humber67 »

Made between 1965 - 1971
Martin
When I grow up I want to be ME

Humber67
Gudgeon

Post by Humber67 »

The line guard maybe genuine
Martin
When I grow up I want to be ME

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

More detail on line guard.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

This model of reel is the Match Aerial. The Aerial Match is an entirely different reel only produced for one year just before the outbreak of WW2. Because of that it is rare, sought after and rather more expensive!

Nonetheless yours is a nice reel to use.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Mark99
Perch

Post by Mark99 »

Bob Brookes wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:51 pm This model of reel is the Match Aerial. The Aerial Match is an entirely different reel only produced for one year just before the outbreak of WW2. Because of that it is rare, sought after and rather more expensive!

Nonetheless yours is a nice reel to use.

Interesting. Never knew there was a difference. I suppose the "Aerial Match" round metal badge on the rear would be different? i.e. "Aerial" word topmost then "Match" below.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

This reel was designed by Lord Seb Coe's dad!

He moved North and joined Allcock as a result and was briefly on the Board until the Shakespeare take-over. I wonder if his co-Board members ever shared with him that they no longer owned the Company?

Being such a late Aerial it was made for left hand wind, with the check being harder for a fish to pull when line ran from the bottom to the butt ring.

I think your check knob has simply fallen off ( they did that a lot) and Garry Mills can replace it easily.

As far as I know the reel was never offered with a line guard but it's a good idea with such a shallow spool.

Match fisherman Billy Lane used on of these and got involved in their advertising too. He was famously quoted as saying it was " The finest trotting reel ever made"

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”