Bait Addatives? Yea or Nay?

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Re: Bait Addatives? Yea or Nay?

Post by Northern_Nomad »

AntiqueAngler wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:44 pm intrigued by Northern Nomads, 'Fenugreek' what is it?luncheon meat flavoured and quickly fried in a mix of oxo cube and curry powder is reasonably cheap and easy to do.Fish really take to it in winter months particularlly and it's not bad to eat either!
It’s a ground herb, has quite a mild, pleasant, distinct aroma. Some of the boiled bait buffs who study all the scientific papers on emulsifiers,lipids, essential oils etc etc and are very fussy about additives and levels. One very respected baitmaker Pete Broxborough (sp) on a desert Island disks type interview was questioned if he could use only one additive/flavour in a bait what would it be answered without a doubt - Fenugreek :Thumb:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

AntiqueAngler
Gudgeon

Post by AntiqueAngler »

Thankyou Nomad,have been interested in flavourings since purchasing some Archie Braddocks additives and reading his book many years ago.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

AntiqueAngler wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:16 am Thankyou Nomad,have been interested in flavourings since purchasing some Archie Braddocks additives and reading his book many years ago.
I am always a tad sceptical of Archie's flavours and theories AA. I read his book and was soon wondering why he was changing his flavours for what appeared like, every trip. He seemed determined to catch on every concoction he dreamed up but didn't do extensive research. Let's face it, no two trips are identical and what works one day does not work every day. I think he got carried away by the process and were he to do longer research against other flavours and an unflavored sample, he may have made different conclusions.

I did buy his Summer and Winter bait flavours, both of which smelled nothing like any food additive I've ever sniffed. But my eyebrows grew back and I gave them both a good trial without so much as a nibble. My results were echoed by a number of my barbelling buddies, nobody bought a second bottle.

I'm not slating every flavour Archie produced and you may have some winning flavours in your possession but many, many great flavours have come from simple products or a mixture of them.

I hope you catch and go on to dabble a bit deeper but don't believe the hype.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I remember going in the tackle shop for some brown crumb and the owner saying, you should try these flavoured ones. They all smelled lovely, especially the one for bream. I wonder how much was sold because it smelled nice rather than how well it worked.
I remain unconvinced but it seems to give others confidence and thats half the battle. Plus, anglers need to spend cash on their hobby and what better way than on something you can only use once.

Wal.

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Peanut butter, Seville marmalade and a Middle Eastern spice mix.
The first two are also great on the crusty loaf if the fish are not interested. Essentially I do not use any additives to the bait.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:52 am I remember going in the tackle shop for some brown crumb and the owner saying, you should try these flavoured ones. They all smelled lovely, especially the one for bream. I wonder how much was sold because it smelled nice rather than how well it worked.
I remain unconvinced but it seems to give others confidence and thats half the battle. Plus, anglers need to spend cash on their hobby and what better way than on something you can only use once.

Wal.
I seem to remember a biscuit factory using up their waste by selling it to a local ground bait producer.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Homer Simpson wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:03 am
Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:52 am I remember going in the tackle shop for some brown crumb and the owner saying, you should try these flavoured ones. They all smelled lovely, especially the one for bream. I wonder how much was sold because it smelled nice rather than how well it worked.

Wal.
I seem to remember a biscuit factory using up their waste by selling it to a local ground bait producer.
One of the dog biscuit makers did. Was it Sprats, cant remember now.

Fred
Grayling

Post by Fred »

As a rule nay, I use what ever bait I decide on straight out of the packet/tin as it comes. I like to find the fish and put the bait to them rather than bait an area and hope the fish find me. But if it gives you confidence and you think it will work then do it.
Fish come and go, but it is the memory of afternoons on the stream that endure

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It entirely depends upon the species sought! Flavours for pike - fishy or seafood ones - - which also work for chub!
A sweetener or sweet flavour changes sweetcorn enormously.
As an eel can smell(sense) one part per billion, other fish less so. Flavours can attract, or detract, the attractiveness of a bait.

John Baker once gave me a boilie mix to be used as paste, unbelievably effective, with about 60 barbel in 6 weeks at the end of winter just before the start close season started. A good month and a halves fishing!

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I never found flavouring sweetcorn improved the bait at all. In fact I prefer to use it as it comes straight from the tin.
For Wensum chub I used to dip my bread in a cheese and onion sandwich spread that most supermarket sell. I'm not sure if the fish preferred it but it gave me a bit more confidence.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”