Cheese paste!

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Wakou
Rudd

Cheese paste!

Post by Wakou »

I have no wish to give our esteemed and much admired friend Martin what the Irish call a "conniption"! So if you are reading, Martin, please brace yourself, or even avert your eyes!
I actually bought some cheese-paste!! And if that were not enough, IT HAS A "BEST BEFORE" DATE ON THE POT!!!!!
OK, calm down everyone! I can explain!
I finished work in Harlow unexpectedly early one day last week. The Lea is nearby, and I had some tackle in the car. I needed some hooks, so I went to a tackle-shop which is not my favourite, but is almost next-door to work. I had the previous day, bought some maggots and dendro's for a possible session on the Chelmer. They were in the bait-fridge at home in Chelmsford, along with my supply of 'matured' home-made cheese-paste!
I did not want to buy MORE maggots, and so with chub and barbel 'on the cards' I reluctantly coughed-up the £3.99! (and also popped in to a supermarket for a bag of prawns)
Needless to say, I blanked!

A review:
Good consistency, stays on the hook nicely, even in flowing water. Does not stink enough, in my opinion.

Pro-tip: Do not leave an opened bag of prawns in the car.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Cheese paste!

Post by Dave Burr »

Plain old Cheddar is a great hook bait and, to get over the hardening issues -which is why we used paste in the first place - you can mount it on a hair. Chub don't mind that it's tough, they've got mighty gnashers.

Mick
Chub

Post by Mick »

I get over the hardening of paste by using Enterprise Baits Paste Mate, as I don't like using a hair rig where paste is concerned. The big advantage in making your own cheese paste is that it has no use by date! Mine goes back in the freezer and I just add a bit to it to top it up!!

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

A fresh, but very stinky batch, should do for a few sessions :Thumb:

Kingfisher
Catfish

Post by Kingfisher »

Dave Burr wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:04 am Plain old Cheddar is a great hook bait and, to get over the hardening issues -which is why we used paste in the first place - you can mount it on a hair. Chub don't mind that it's tough, they've got mighty gnashers.
You're spot on Dave, I used to use a cm piece of cheese on the hook. The colour goes and it hardens but chub will take it in a flash. I even hooked a salmon on a chunk once.

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling.

Izaak Walton

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

You were lucky - - it is £6.99 on that website!!

Paste on a hair rigged cork ball - makes it more buoyant.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Dave Burr wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:04 am Plain old Cheddar is a great hook bait and, to get over the hardening issues -which is why we used paste in the first place - you can mount it on a hair. Chub don't mind that it's tough, they've got mighty gnashers.
Same as you Dave paste in winter, plain cheddar in summer, when burying the hook.

Did you ever get pestered with eels? It was a problem on the Yorkshire Derwent many years ago which was irritating as both chub and barbel loved cheese.

Summer time on still waters I used Dairylea cheese triangles which is nice and soft but won't take hard casting. I caught roach and bream on it plus one water I fished it picked out the Crucians.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Phil Arnott wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:50 pm
Same as you Dave paste in winter, plain cheddar in summer, when burying the hook.

Did you ever get pestered with eels? It was a problem on the Yorkshire Derwent many years ago which was irritating as both chub and barbel loved cheese.

Summer time on still waters I used Dairylea cheese triangles which is nice and soft but won't take hard casting. I caught roach and bream on it plus one water I fished it picked out the Crucians.
Yup, eels love cheesepaste as do trout and pike. I can't see me using Dairylea triangles though Phil, I'd eat them and cast the rest off.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Kingfisher wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:42 pm
You're spot on Dave, I used to use a cm piece of cheese on the hook. The colour goes and it hardens but chub will take it in a flash. I even hooked a salmon on a chunk once.
The mighty power of cheddar, even the salmon want it. I prefer brie for salmon. Wrap a bit of salmon around a piece of brie -Heaven.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Dave Burr wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:38 pm Yup, eels love cheesepaste as do trout and pike. I can't see me using Dairylea triangles though Phil, I'd eat them and cast the rest off.
I have to admit that there's been a quite few times when hunger has got the better of me and I've made a cheese or luncheon meat sandwich from my chub baits. One advantage in having fresh bait. The lobworms I always managed to resist.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”