Fly reel

General fly fishing chat area.
Ian
Eel

Fly reel

Post by Ian »

I found a fishing reel at work and I wondered if anyone has heard of the company. Personally I’ve never heard of them myself.
The company name is Jss walker bampton & co and the reel name is “the aln”. The reel is a bit dirty and needing a clean up, but I will post a photo of it once I do so.

Last edited by Ian on Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Fly reel

Post by Paul F »

Yes walker Bampton bought branded reels in, mainly made by Dingley & youngs

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Paul F wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:18 pm Yes walker Bampton bought branded reels in, mainly made by Dingley & youngs
Thanks Paul. I can’t find anything on the google about this particular reel,but it’s a nice item for the fly tying desk. Seems to be in perfect working order, which is great cause I haven’t a clue how to remove the spool.

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Thanks mark👍.

Turned out the spool was easy to remove.

Simply push the brass bar up to release.

A weird and wonderful mechanism inside.

Even the line looks good.
Last edited by Ian on Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Ian wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:27 pm
Paul F wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:18 pm Yes walker Bampton bought branded reels in, mainly made by Dingley & youngs
Thanks Paul. I can’t find anything on the google about this particular reel,but it’s a nice item for the fly tying desk. Seems to be in perfect working order, which is great cause I haven’t a clue how to remove the spool.
Do you have a photo of the front, is it not just a screw, which you have to turn clockwise?

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Paul F wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:30 pm
Ian wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:27 pm
Do you have a photo of the front, is it not just a screw, which you have to turn clockwise?
Posted above Paul👍

Paul F
Sea Trout

Post by Paul F »

Looks like a dingley made reel, not weird workings, typical.

This is a dingley made, Hardy branded 1st model silex reel circa 1899, stunning workings👍

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Paul F wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:46 pm Looks like a dingley made reel, not weird workings, typical.

This is a dingley made, Hardy branded 1st model silex reel circa 1899, stunning workings👍
The reel in your photo paul looks more intricate, nice to look at and well made. This reel too is very sturdy and smooth running, but with simple inner workings. I don’t see any markings to say who designed it.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

Ian, it's a beautiful old reel and you were blessed that it came your way. A collectors item I'm sure and will look good on your tying desk.
I like the simple design of it too.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Return to “General Fly Chat”