"Black Cat" - A Bearing 'Pin'

The Other Reels forum.
Barbelbonce
Rudd

"Black Cat" - A Bearing 'Pin'

Post by Barbelbonce »

ImageImage

'morning All,
A pal has acquired this Black Cat. About 4 1/2" dia.
Do any of you know anything of the origins of this reel? The bearing was made in E Germany and has to be replaced - very gritty, although the reel appears to have been very little used. Generally needs a good service as well; both tasks he is doing.
Many thanks,
Mike

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Re: "Black Cat" - A Bearing 'Pin'

Post by Rod Fisher »

There's an advert for them in David Halls' Coarse Fisherman magazine, December 1976, which Fredline may be able to dig out for you.
T Myatt wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:53 pm Gentlemen,

There's a very good review of the reel in August 1976 Angling magazine. I'm not typing the whole lot out so here'e a brief outline.

The reel was submitted for field-testing (their words) by Hadley Tackle Company, 228 High Street, Barnet, Herts.

Described as "A 4.5-inch job with a sealed ball-bearing, it weighs 11oz and runs like a dream. The reel-stand is moulded into the backplate and is smooth so that it is kind to line even if it does go round it"

The platitudes go on the drum is "beautifully turned", "Check switch and brake are strong and both excellently placed", "longest running centrepin we have ever handled" and so forth.

Price was "£17.50 retail as an introductory offer".

Tony
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

:Hat:

A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

Thank you, Rod and thank you, John.
The info and snap have been passed to my old pal. He is duly grateful.
I think he will continue to assume that it was manufactured by Hadley and not just retailed by them.....
I was intrigued to see that the outer bearing was made in E Germany, though.
Does anyone know anything about Hadley Tackle, further to what Rod and John have supplied?
As long as the old boy is happy! He can't expect more; he's only 83 and still travels distances for his Barbel fishing.
Many thanks,
Mike

Return to “Other Reels”