Line weight for Hardy split cane Rod

General fly fishing chat area.
Hammy
Stickleback

Line weight for Hardy split cane Rod

Post by Hammy »

I've just acquired an absolutely mint condition Hardy split cane rod marked "Palakona" and "The Perfection". It's 9 1/2 ft. Anybody have any ideas about what weight of modern line would suit?
In the same bunch of rods are also two Grants Vibration greenheart salmon rods, One 15ft and one 12ft, also both in mint condition.
So two questions here...firstly, will these rods still be fishable, and secondly, again what weight lines should I try on them?
Looking forward to hearing your opinions.
All the Best
Hammy

Ian
Eel

Re: Line weight for Hardy split cane Rod

Post by Ian »

Does it not tell you on the rods?
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

This 1970 catalogue https://splitcaneinfo.com/wp-content/up ... y-1970.pdf
recommends a 6 weight line for the 9' 6" Perfection so a good place to start.

I just noticed an earlier catalogue recommends a 5 Weight so I would try either and go from there.

Pete

Hammy
Stickleback

Post by Hammy »

No indication on any of the rods...that's why I'm asking here. Thanks for the catalogue catalogue link.

Iasgair
Chub

Post by Iasgair »

As for being fishable, we can't tell you that because we need to see the rods. But if you say the Perfection is in mint condition, get some 5 or 6 weight line on it and go fish. Unless its cold outside because cold affects bamboo fly rods in a bad way.
As for the Greenheart rods, I can't comment on them because I have no experience with them. But if they are not damaged in any way, then use them too.
You did acquire a good set of rods. The Perfection alone is a superior rod in its own rights.
Well done my friend. Well dine indeed.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

ChrisMec
Ruffe

Silk lines for cane rods.

Post by ChrisMec »

I have been fishing with a 10ft. Cane fly rod for a few seasons using a modern line, the rings at the tip are very small just allowing the line to pass through. My question to the forum is, I would like to use my rod with a Silk line as it should be used but using the internet for information it's a minefield. If there are any fishers of cane fly rods out there using Silk lines, any help you are willing to give me will be appreciated.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

As a matter of interest does it have a number & letter on the very end of butt section?

Return to “General Fly Chat”