Simple pink nymph

This section of the forum is for all you fly tying enthusiasts.
Ian
Eel

Simple pink nymph

Post by Ian »

A simple no fuss pink nymph for grayling that works.

The light pink thread as an underbody, the sparse off white dubbing, the glint of the mirage and the silver wire all compliment each other and is why this nymph appeals to the grayling, but like any other fish they have to be feeding first ha!.
I could have probably used any off white dubbing, but the long chenille edged it for me because it’s long fibres contain both stiff and soft material, and too add, can be cut to whatever length preferred. Long chenille is used in predator flies to add some bulk to the main body of a fly.

The list of materials shows fine silver tinsel, a mistake. I used fine silver wire.

I turned the light off to show the finished product and to see the double wrap of mirage in the middle, and how pronounced it is, as it’s not easy to see with the light on.

Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Iasgair
Chub

Re: Simple pink nymph

Post by Iasgair »

Well done, Ian. That fly looks like a killer for grayling and should serve you well on the water.

Keep sharing with us.
Worry less about who you might offend, and care more about who you might inspire.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Looks like a classic grayling fly well tied. Sure to catch lots.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Thank you :Hat:

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I like that... might also make a good Mullet fly in the right conditions?

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Ian
Eel

Post by Ian »

Mr B wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:09 pm I like that... might also make a good Mullet fly in the right conditions?

Mr B
I remember a john wilson episode where he fished an area with seaweed on the shore. As the tide came in the waves washed the maggots out the weed.
Maybe that could be the right conditions for this fly mr B. A rocky shore covered in bladder wrack in high summer and you’ve cracked it.
Don’t cast doubt,cast out.

Return to “Fly Tying”