A Mepps question

The Other Reels forum.
Rockape
Roach

A Mepps question

Post by Rockape »

Hi to all you Mepps collectors (Russ B).

I recently obtained this Mepps Super Vamp, and I wondered if anyone here could give me a date on the reel (I thought pre 1954 because of the half bail?), and if the handle is original (seems almost home made?).

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Re: A Mepps question

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

Rockape wrote: ↑Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:56 pm Hi to all you Mepps collectors (Russ B).

I recently obtained this Mepps Super Vamp, and I wondered if anyone here could give me a date on the reel (I thought pre 1954 because of the half bail?), and if the handle is original (seems almost home made?).

Thanks.
Hi Rockape,All the Mepps Vamp reels were half bail or roller bail until an RV Type with full wire bail was produced in 1955.Regarding your Super Vamp handle,I've seen one or two SV's on Google Images with the exact same handle so I think it's an original part.TTFNπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:09 pm
Rockape wrote: ↑Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:56 pm Hi to all you Mepps collectors (Russ B).

Thanks.
Hi Rockape,All the Mepps Vamp reels were half bail or roller bail until an RV Type with full wire bail was produced in 1955.Regarding your Super Vamp handle,I've seen one or two SV's on Google Images with the exact same handle so I think it's an original part.TTFNπŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
Thanks Russ, it's good to know there are others like it, as I was contemplating on how the heck I was going to find an original replacement part for it. Thanks again for your help :Hat:

Russell Howard Brown
Ruffe

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

Rockape wrote: ↑Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:40 pm

Thanks.
Thanks Russ, it's good to know there are others like it, as I was contemplating on how the heck I was going to find an original replacement part for it. Thanks again for your help :Hat:
Hi Rockape,I've just found myself another Mepps Baby Vamp.On its way from the US and appears to be in extremely good condition.I think it'll arrive a couple of weeks into January.I'll post a few pics when it arrives.Russ (ShyTangler).

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Russell Howard Brown wrote: ↑Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:56 pm
Rockape wrote: ↑Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:40 pm

Thanks.
Hi Rockape,I've just found myself another Mepps Baby Vamp.On its way from the US and appears to be in extremely good condition.I think it'll arrive a couple of weeks into January.I'll post a few pics when it arrives.Russ (ShyTangler).
Yes, please do, I would love to see it. :Thumb:

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

This type of handle was used on several different French reels including the RU Sport and Contact 400. In the latter case they were prone to breakage so I would imagine spares are difficult to source.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Coral Maestro wrote: ↑Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:28 am This type of handle was used on several different French reels including the RU Sport and Contact 400. In the latter case they were prone to breakage so I would imagine spares are difficult to source.
Thank you for your very helpful addition to this thread Coral Maestro; confirmation all round that it was not a home made handle, at least. :Hat:

Return to β€œOther Reels”