Speedia quirks

The Speedia Reels forum.
Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Speedia quirks

Post by Timothy Claypole »

Good evening all,

I recently bought a Speedia for a pretty good price from eeBayGum (Yorkshire auction site 😉). It was a bit dirty, seized grub screw, one side of reel foot shortened by an inch. Nevertheless it spun reasonably well and I was sure I could get it spinning beautifully (I returned it as it happens, which is a different story altogether).*

Now for the oddity: I noticed that the spool wasn’t completely flush with the edge of the backplate. In other words, the edge of the spool sat below the edge of the backplate under the foot, but slightly above at the opposite point. It didn’t have much wobble to speak of, so I wonder whether it’s a bent spindle, a grub screw in need of fettling or a quirk of Speedias in general? I have previously owned a Speedia and seem to recall that it was also like this.

Anyone found this with their Speedia? Is it just a feature of old and well-gigged reels?

ATB,

TC

* I returned it because my conscience struck me. I think it would’ve been great, but I just don’t need one.
"Fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences."

Bernard Venables

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Speedia quirks

Post by Pallenpool »

If it spins it’s a user. Speedias are a little belt and braces anyway. So your description is not unusual - a highlight even.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Pallenpool wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:10 pm If it spins it’s a user. Speedias are a little belt and braces anyway. So your description is not unusual - a highlight even.
Belt and braces!…. :shocked:

Designed and built for artisan anglers would have been a far better description Peter…. :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

It sounds as if the spindle wasn't seated correctly in the backplate. A two pronged tool is needed to tighten the spindle nut correctly and it may simply have needed tightening up.
It is possible the backplate was distorted but they are made of cast metal and reinforced at that point so really unlikely.

Wal.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Just the way some go.
If the line isn't going round the back then it's alright
Some ratchets can be noisy but If your fishing on your own you can enjoy that, but they can be adjusted clacking wise, I recently found that out.
I have had a few Speedia's over the years and they all seem a tad different but very reliable.
I like them.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Return to “Speedia Reels”