‘Europa’ Fixed Spool Reels - any clues?

The Other Reels forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

‘Europa’ Fixed Spool Reels - any clues?

Post by Tengisgol »

Had a pint with Rob at lunchtime in the Jolly Brew and he showed me his ‘Alcock’s 1968 Anglers Guide’.

On page 183 is Rob’s first ‘proper’ reel - the ‘Europa’ - which I have never heard of before. Can anyone shed any light? I did wonder if they might have been a Japanese import?

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Rod
Grayling

Re: ‘Europa’ Fixed Spool Reels - any clues?

Post by Rod »

Please excuse me, but it says on the advert that they are imported, knowing where most reels came from in the 60's and 70's, I think you can be fairly sure they came from Japan. That being a logical thought on my part, as I have never actually seen one of these, but they do look quite nice.
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

They look like the Winfield Bait fisher and Spin fisher which are In the possession of the Fat Bloke. They are good reels and users to this day.

As ever,......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

I find it interesting that the description’imported’ or foreign made’ is used almost apologetically in the 60’s. When did ‘made in Japan’ became a positive selling point?

Rockape
Rudd

Post by Rockape »

Banksy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:42 pm I find it interesting that the description’imported’ or foreign made’ is used almost apologetically in the 60’s. When did ‘made in Japan’ became a positive selling point?
As seen here:
I'm suspecting Hong Kong on this one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

They are either these http://www.shakespearman.freepage.cz/no ... nka-19820/

or these http://www.shakespearman.freepage.cz/no ... nka-19819/

The first matches the model numbers 20xx but the second are much the same and were actually called "Europa" but the model numbers are 22xx.

Noris Shakespeare reels which were made by the "Diamond" brand of Japanese reels. They sold under their own angicised brand name, "Diamond" (though there is certainly a Japanese factory name not stated) and several others including Noris Shakespeare, Edgar Sealey, Compac etc,. They were never sold under the Winfield brand. Generally very good and well thought of reels; solid, well built, modern (for the time) designs and good value for money.
Last edited by Stingray on Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:14 am, edited 6 times in total.

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Banksy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:42 pm I find it interesting that the description’imported’ or foreign made’ is used almost apologetically in the 60’s. When did ‘made in Japan’ became a positive selling point?
A good question. Most Japanese reels that were marked were marked "Foreign" up to circa late 1960s then Japan started appearing. The exact date would vary from maker to maker I think. Not apoligetically really, "Japan" was seen as a negative selling point back then, one which may have a negative effect on sales in their key market of USA especially. The fact that many were being rebadged in the West would have had a bearing on that as well. Not the only tactic they employed: early Daiwa spincast reels for example were branded as "Viking" hoping that some of Abu's hard earned mojo might rub off on them.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

In answer to the original question, the previous page in the 1968 catalogue describes the Europa de Luxe reel as being sourced in Japan. The accent is still on ‘second to none within their price range!’

Russell Howard Brown
Gudgeon

Post by Russell Howard Brown »

Banksy wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:42 am Image

In answer to the original question, the previous page in the 1968 catalogue describes the Europa de Luxe reel as being sourced in Japan. The accent is still on ‘second to none within their price range!’
I've had a few reels with a 'FOREIGN' sticker on the foot.When peeled off it would say Japan and very occasionally Korea.Merry Christmas to all.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Banksy wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:42 am Image

So it is! In all the hubbub of Christmas, I hadn’t checked page 181!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Other Reels”