Ambidex rescue

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
NiceRoach
Eel

Ambidex rescue

Post by NiceRoach »

I won this on evilBay but when it arrived I realised I hadn’t zoomed in on the pictures. It had been repainted and it had to go.

I did the TFF Dettol trick and gave it a fresh start. :readnews: These shades aren’t easy to replicate, so I’ll leave it the way it is, as a user. Ironically it runs beautifully and has nice old brass bits that later in production changed to chrome. Hope it warms your Winter night dreaming of fishing

:tea:
Last edited by NiceRoach on Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
niceroach

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Re: Ambidex Rescue

Post by Wanderer »

They have a certain charm.
I have a couple myself. :Thumb:
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

EricW
Perch

Re: Ambidex rescue

Post by EricW »

I like them and use them a lot. Cheap, very well made, delightfully smooth, clutches are pretty good, heavy enough to help balance a rod, my favourite fixed spool reel and I can never resist one at a good price. Enjoy yours. :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

I fell in love with Ambidex reels and started collecting them a couple of years ago. I must say, that I don’t like the “swan neck” later models though. My favourite(s) are the mark 5; mark 6 and the “match”.
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

ImageImageImage

To the mind of the Fatbloke these are the apogee of the Ambidexes and still used to this day. The mark six swan has been used regularly since 1966. Nowt else to say really but much better than stinky old Mitchell's..

As ever,......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I've yet to christen my Mark 2. Perhaps the Wally bash would be a suitable opportunity.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Jeff Smith
Dace

Post by Jeff Smith »

D76790A0-52D2-4F8E-BACC-A11DC3DB1E1C.jpeg
Here’s my recently acquired ‘match’ - my first Ambidex that had possibly sat hidden in the depths of my local tackle shop for decades in the ‘ for repair’ box.
It was seized solid and was loaded with 4.4lb Bayer perlon in 1984 according to a label on the back of the spool.
Following a complete strip down, polishing of the shafts, and some careful ‘sanding’ of the plastic spool back plate ,which was rubbing, she’s now running like a dream.
Not quite as ‘quiet’ as my Dam Quicks, but a very smooth operator with just light weight oil on the gears.
It’ll be matched to an ‘Avocet’ copy for possibly a perch or chub.
The fast retrieve (5:1) and shallow spool make for an excellent line profile with 6lb mono
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Thank guys nice ambling, a certain charm indeed or ‘je ne sais quoi’ as they say in ‘stinky’ Mitchell land.

Ole Moley overground I see, still ‘swanning’ about down there harrowing the red eyes, last time I seen em that red was looking in the mirror, one morning after. Practically, in France he’s that far down, where there’s not a J.W in plain sight. The ambidex once described by Nobby as an ornery beast, I had to look up ornery, but I kinda knew what it meant before I did, as I hastily screwed the side plate back on.

Looks like Moley got a mix n’ match Friday special there, none of your any colour you like as long as it’s black, with the Redditch rascals. Anyways, mine still doesn’t look right bare naked iron like that, it’s like gone fishin with no clothes on, can’t have that, it’s probably how the naked rambler started out.

Young the elder once went all Latin on us and produced the Duco, but they’re rare as hen’s teeth, and look a bit like stinky Mitchell’s hmmm where’s me spray gun.

Regards
niceroach

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

NiceRoach wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:38 am Thank guys nice ambling, a certain charm indeed or ‘je ne sais quoi’ as they say in ‘stinky’ Mitchell land.

Ole Moley overground I see, still ‘swanning’ about down there harrowing the red eyes, last time I seen em that red was looking in the mirror, one morning after. Practically, in France he’s that far down, where there’s not a J.W in plain sight. The ambidex once described by Nobby as an ornery beast, I had to look up ornery, but I kinda knew what it meant before I did, as I hastily screwed the side plate back on.

Looks like Moley got a mix n’ match Friday special there, none of your any colour you like as long as it’s black, with the Redditch rascals. Anyways, mine still doesn’t look right bare naked iron like that, it’s like gone fishin with no clothes on, can’t have that, it’s probably how the naked rambler started out.

Young the elder once went all Latin on us and produced the Duco, but they’re rare as hen’s teeth, and look a bit like stinky Mitchell’s hmmm where’s me spray gun.

Regards
They are stinky Mitchell's you can smell the garlic as you open them up the first time. Special Mitchell grease hah! More like garlic oil collated from the French Restaurant trade.........

Underground or overground there will be no 'Swanning' because they are detested as aggressive avian antagonists only good for turkey substitutes in the festering period. Red eyed Moles are not on the agenda as alcohol not consumed to that extent.....maybe just the local beers at Christmas and Easter and every public holiday and any day of the week with a Y in it. Just like the Queen of Sheba in the Royal Family....... :Hahaha:

The mix and match Friday Special or bucket job referred to is an Ambidex Deluxe in standard colours , even the handle is right oh er Misses. Gary Mills would be proud.

As for nearly being in France ...no.Sir....still.got the English Channel as a sufficient dividing line from Stinky Mitchell Land.

As for the Duco, it's just a rebadged Ambidex flogged by Alcocks trying to horn in on the best of British.

So Ambidex one nil up on the stinky Mitchell with less than a minute of extra time to play.

Sacre merde the 'stinkies' have got a last minute corner........

Watch this space.

As ever,.......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

NiceRoach
Eel

Post by NiceRoach »

Ahh,…… the up early Mole catches the Tench.

Still minus here over Hadrian’s wall, where I’d a mate, who was so poor he used margarine to ‘oil up’ his Blue stinky Mitchell Match. Now that’s what I call a stinky Mitchell, pure honking it was, all the way along from peg 1 to peg 30.

Ho Hum ( right enuff )
niceroach

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”