Recommendations For A Cane Stalking Rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Barbelbonce
Rudd

Recommendations For A Cane Stalking Rod

Post by Barbelbonce »

A pal of mine phoned me this evening to ask for a recommendation for an up-to 10ft carp stalking rod:..."..you know, proper poking about in the bushes type rod", he said.
First. he asked if a Chapman 500 would be ok and I replied that it may be a bit lightweight and he might do better with a 550 Carp from Chapmans, or A N Other 10' carp rod.
I also said that a Sharpes salmon spinning rod (9'3" or 9'6"?) would probably fit the bill - but, naturally, expensive.
Please have any of you here have any ideas for him? He's a pretty committed traditionalist and I'd like to be able to help him.
Many thanks,
Mike
Last edited by Barbelbonce on Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aitch
Pike

Re: Recommendations For A Cane Stalking Rod

Post by Aitch »

I have a Sharpe 8' spinning rod, and a 9' 3" version of a Sharpe... both are very good at landing lumpy carp... I had a 22lb 10 oz fish on my 8' rod
They come up occasionally and are a great rod
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

I think there's something to be said for a stalking rod having the soft all-through action of a fly rod - my stalking rod is the top two sections of a 15ft 10-12 aftm salmon rod (admittedly not cane) and it'll stop a stampeding buffalo - but gradually - it has a 3lb t/c and looks like this:

Once it's under strain the short lever provides a lot of power - it's a 12lb+ line rod and hooks smaller than '8's are out, as are fine wire hooks...

I suspect a cane salmon rod, cut down, would do a pretty good job. As long as you like a project. :Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Or a salmon spinning rod - like the LRH2 - much talked about!

At 9ft 6in with a t/c about 2.25lb to 2.5lb and power to the butt and handle it is excellent for fishing both under the tip stalking to general carp ledgering. It was the only rod I used last year with double figure carp on every visit but no 20lbers in 23 although I have had them in previous years.

I have a few and the t/c varies with age/use and when made but all about the t/c as above.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Another vote for the Sharpes 9'3"
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I also recommend the LRH but the 1, not the 2. It is comparatively light but powerful. I have tried several 7' or 8' spinning rods but they tend to fall short when a decent fish is trying to pull your arm off. Also, using a centre pin gives you ultimate control of the line you yield and is, in my opinion, better than a fixed spool.

There's an auction at Mullocks Auction House in February, they usually have a few appropriate rods and is well worth a look. :Hat:

Barbelbonce
Rudd

Post by Barbelbonce »

Thanks, all, for the suggestions.
I remembered the LRHs very late last night; I'll put these ideas to him, along with the recommendation of use of a centrepin. Thanks, Dave.
Mike

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Mike, I am firmly on the side of Team Sharpes. I have had most of my big barbel (to 15.10) and carp (to 31.08), on a 9' 6" version.

I have got an 8' one that is a joy to use and it has plenty of power. I wouldn't use it if I was wanting to stop it getting into a snag, however it coped well with the 21.04 leather last autumn.

ImageImage
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Bob a cut down Sharps salmon rod will make a perfect job, David Crain, can tell you about them, better than I can, has he converted my 13ft and 14ft double handed rods. I no longer used for salmon, they have been used with very good success this past summer Regards Martin

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

As others have said you won't go far wrong with a Sharpes or Hardy LRH no 1 ( the no 2 is much too powerful I use mine for deadbaiting for pike or fishing for large carp in snaggy or weedy venues the no 1 is more pleasant to use for stalking.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”