Patented, named and unusual disgorgers

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
John Milford
Grayling

Patented, named and unusual disgorgers

Post by John Milford »

I always have a look at any old disgorgers I come across, just in case they are stamped with a name - as those are very much scarcer and always seem more interesting than plain ones.

Most easlily found are the familiar aluminium barrel disgorgers, mosty dating from the 1960s - although the design itself dates back to the 30s when Allcocks first listed their 'O.K.' bright aluminium barrel disgorger.

My less usual ones include a Heath's patent combination shot pliers, screwdriver and disgorger.

Another less commonplace one is an Elwye extending pocket disgorger, another design dating back to the 1930s.

There's also a loose Palmer matchman's 'Magic Eye' lurking in there, but I also have one still in it's original packaging.

A beauty I've not been able to put a name to is this ingenious spring-loaded affair that locks securely onto the bend of the hook, once it is in position. Any information on this one would be greatfully received. :Hat:

A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Re: Patented, named and unusual disgorgers

Post by AllRounder »

A nice collection John - fascinating things disgorgers

Just to add to the post:
A few of my own including a bone example and a telescopic contraption that I’ve never seen anywhere before or since.

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Some nice old ones there AllRounder, especially the bone one.

That 'pistol' type is one of these, circa 1970s. Not made any more apparently. It says 'sea disgorger' but no doubt useful generally too.

PS: I've just come across another picture of a packaged 'Valley' that says 'coarse fishing disgorger' - perhaps there were different sizes available?

Last edited by John Milford on Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

My Mum was never without her Elwye extending pocket disgorger, preferring it above all others. It’s in a box somewhere!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Any idea about this one?

¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Interesting post... never really thought about them things until reading your post...
Then a little bit of research and then checking out prices!!! Crazy!
I have a few with names on but don't often use them now because of barbless hooks and small forceps if need be..
Well... as always with TFF.. interesting stuff.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Another unusual one - a 'tweezer' style disgorger. It seems to be of some age, but there are no marks to give any clue to it's maker.

The up-turned tip of the slightly longer arm is a conventional slotted ring disgorger, while the shorter arm pinches onto to shank of the hook.

And a couple of brass disgorgers.

The top one is vintage, bordering antique. A stubby little 4"pocket disgorger, probably for trout. It looks workshop made, rather than mass produced.

The bottom double-ended 'barrel' model is quite ingenious with two different sized tips, which screw apart to reveal a knot-picker. Surprisingly, being brass, this one is quite modern, in fact you can still buy them new.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

John Milford wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:39 am Some nice old ones there AllRounder, especially the bone one.
That 'pistol' type is one of these, circa 1970s. Not made any more apparently. It says 'sea disgorger' but no doubt useful generally too.

PS: I've just come across another picture of a packaged 'Valley' that says 'coarse fishing disgorger' - perhaps there were different sizes available?

That's my image by the way which I don't mind you using but would be interested where you got it from. I have posted it in a few places.

The valley disgorger I've used since the early eighties. I did speak to the guy who manufactured them just before he retired. The rights to make them were passed onto a Dutch company called TR Fishing. They are excellent at unhooking fish but require a bit of practice to use proficiently. There is a smaller version shown by "Allrounder" which is ideal for coarse fishing. I've often publicised these digorgers as I consider they are, in many situations, unbeatable at removing hooks, particularly from deep hooked fish. You can actually unhook fish without touching them.

I used them to unhook all the competitors fish in a junior international sea fishing competition I stewarded a few years back and number of teams bought them after seeing me use them and how effective they were. Sadly they are no longer made and available but I have a few spares to see me out as I'd be lost without them. I have the larger size with my sea gear and the smaller one in my freshwater tackle box.

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Phil Arnott wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:07 pm
John Milford wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:39 am Some nice old ones there AllRounder, especially the bone one.

That's my image by the way which I don't mind you using but would be interested where you got it from. I have posted it in a few places.

The valley disgorger I've used since the early eighties. I did speak to the guy who manufactured them just before he retired. The rights to make them were passed onto a Dutch company called TR Fishing. They are excellent at unhooking fish but require a bit of practice to use proficiently. There is a smaller version shown by "Allrounder" which is ideal for coarse fishing. I've often publicised these digorgers as I consider they are, in many situations, unbeatable at removing hooks, particularly from deep hooked fish. You can actually unhook fish without touching them.

I used them to unhook all the competitors fish in a junior international sea fishing competition I stewarded a few years back and number of teams bought them after seeing me use them and how effective they were. Sadly they are no longer made and available but I have a few spares to see me out as I'd be lost without them. I have the larger size with my sea gear and the smaller one in my freshwater tackle box.
Hello Phil :Hat:

It was you! :Thumb: World Sea Fishing Forum, 2008 - I think the discussion was about deep-hooked flatties?

The one in the bottom picture of my first post and also the one posted by JAA seem to follow a similar 'spring loaded' open loop principle to the Valley disgorger. I have a Rapala one, somewhat heavier, that works along those lines too.

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

John Milford wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:14 pm
Hello Phil :Hat:

It was you! :Thumb: World Sea Fishing Forum, 2008 - I think the discussion was about deep-hooked flatties?

The one in the bottom picture of my first post and also the one posted by JAA seem to follow a similar 'spring loaded' open loop principle to the Valley disgorger. I have a Rapala one, somewhat heavier, that works along those lines too.
Hi John, I introduced my friend Mike Thrussell to them when fishing with him. I seem to think Mike wrote an article about them. World Fishing was run by Mike Thrussell Junior before passing it on. They're very good for flatties providing they aren't too small. I could have done with one in between the two sizes that were produced. I think I've still got three of each size.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”