Sealey Octofloat, just about the best value workhorse cane rod?

The Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Rods forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

Sealey Octofloat, just about the best value workhorse cane rod?

Post by Tengisgol »

I have had quite a few of these pass through my hands now, and have refurbished and used them extensively. When a friend told me recently he wanted to buy his first cane rod, I replied by saying there was really only one to consider, the Octofloat, and to pair it with a Rapidex or Trudex (he plumped for the former).

His rod is very nearly ready and the time I have spent on it really has driven home to me how good they are. Very well balanced, light enough in the hand, responsive, and a great all rounder for any kind of float fishing (or light legering in fact). They always have a nice light, crisp action, never 'sloppy'.

One of the other things I realised, as it went around in the turner, was how the very clever taper steps down just at the top of the middle section. I had never noticed that before. Sealey obviously had a bit of a penchant for that, when you look at the more extreme example in the Sealey Roach (albeit the severe step down in taper is on the top section on the Roach).

Here is one of my Octofloats in action at Blenheim a few years ago; it was perfect that day when I really got into a shoal of good bream.

Last edited by Tengisgol on Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Sealey Octofloat, just about the best value workhouse cane rod?

Post by Pallenpool »

Agreed Phil, the Octofloat is a fabulous all round rod. I would recommend it to anyone whether new to cane or indeed someone who has used it for an age but not tried the Octofloat. I really enjoy using mine for tench.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I was looking for a decent Octofloat for ages and …… this won’t surprise you Phil …….. I eventually gave up and bought an Octofloat 2 in fibreglass. It has also turned out to be a great workhorse of a rod!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

I also agree, very nice rods.

Danesman
Silver Bream

Post by Danesman »

My next restoration project is an Octofloat. Unfortunately it has 4" shorter than it should be. I'm undecided on which way to go, restore as it is or keep ;looking for a doner tip.

MWithell
Chub

Re: Sealey Octofloat, just about the best value workhorse cane rod?

Post by MWithell »

I was fortunate to find one in a charity shop at £15, and in usable condition after removing rust from some of the rings. I've had a range of fish on it, including carp to over 6lb, and it's coped beautifully. I need to fix the tip section (I was thankful for the advice willingly given at the Wally bash) which is coming loose from the ferrule but apart from that it's fine. I pair it with a Trudex but would be equally happy using a Rapidex. At the moment the tip section needs Copydex...
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

If you can only have one cane rod, get an Octofloat - and I still have one for sale :Wink:

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I have two Octofloats, both have been restored by Dr Cane in the past and he kindly lengthened the handle for me for comfort as I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my hands and find short handles tricky when playing decent sized fish. For me they are my go to rods for tench fishing down o the marshes as they are for Kev my oldest friend… fantastic rods indeed….even the dog loves them!

" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Edgar Sealey, the Mr Kipling of the angling world.
Always very good cane and well worth restoring.
I usually replace the handle with better quality cork as the original stuff is prone to crumbling with age.

Wal.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

My first two Octofloat Deluxe rods were cheap user/ doer uppers, both green Octopus logo and red/green Jasper twist whips. Both rods had two inches missing off the tip, one however was lighter in build than the other and the micrometer showed a 25 thou difference just above the handle. The lighter rod unusually had the better A grade cork handle but also had suspiscous whipping for several inches down from the tip ring( alarm bells rang!) with both rods I shortened the other two sections by two inches and made to very nice rods, particularly the lighter one which had quite a bit of use until the dreaded delamination occurred under the ferrule on the top section. I phoned John at Chapmans and an in stock Wizard top section winged its way to me soon after. I took three inches off the bottom of the Wizard top and fitted it up to replace the damage one making again a very nice rod which has seen regular use in the intervening years particularly for Tench. Last year I finally found a good original green/red whipped example and it's full length Hurrah!

Return to “Edgar Sealey & Sons Ltd Cane Rods”