Hello form sunny Essex

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Touchwood
Stickleback

Hello form sunny Essex

Post by Touchwood »

Hello to all, I have been fishing for many years (since 1976). However, it is only since August last year that I have solely been using cane rods and other traditional items of tackle.

For the first time in many years, I enjoy going fishing and just being there. For many years I was a carp fisher who sat behind a bank of rods, fired out my bait and waited for the fish to hook themselves on my super-duper must have rigs.

Last summer I found an old Avon cane rod in my fathers shed, no idea where it came from as he wasn’t a fisherman. I took it to my local club water and caught some lovely Tench. The penny dropped and I realised that using a cane rod just felt wonderful. The ability to flick out baits without a lead, the feeling when playing a fish, I was well and truly hooked.

I decided to continue with the traditional tackle, a MKIV Carp rod was purchased from eBay, an old 300 Mitchell reel. Just walking round the lake looking for fish and casting my bread flake, corn or luncheon meat to any signs of fish. If I am lucky enough to have a bite, I really enjoy the fight on my balanced tackle. No more winching in the fish on 3lb test curve rods.

My tackle has now extended to a lovely 11ft wizard style rod, fantastic for my all-round float fishing and Chub fishing. I have rediscovered my local river, The Chelmer, catching beautiful Perch, Roach and Chub. Mind you I have had fun and games using the centrepin reel (a Rapidex). It took me a while not to end up with a birds nest every time I used it.

I have also begun to attempt to make some items of tackle. I have had most success with floats and it is a wonderful feeling to catch a fish using a float I have made myself. My attempts to make a landing net have so far not produced a working net. Hopefully practice will make perfect (or at least a useable net).

I feel that using traditional tackle just feels right, it has also led to a change in my mindset regarding fishing. I now fish for many different species and do not have the need to catch the largest carp in the lake and nothing else. I feel that by keeping things simple and using minimum tackle I can wander the river or lake and enjoy myself.

I am looking forward to sharing experiences and fishy stories with like-minded souls.

Aitch
Pike

Re: Hello form sunny Essex

Post by Aitch »

Welcome to the forum from another Essex Lad.... (there are a few of us)... :Hat:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've come to the right place.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Welcome to the forum.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

You sound as if you are really enjoying your fishing again, well done and welcome! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I’m sure you will enjoy the forum, and has already been mentioned there’s a fair few Essex chaps on board. Welcome.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Well done, you've found the road to your spiritual home and to a likeminded community. Welcome!

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Welcome to the slippery slope of vintage tackle and all things piscatorial. Although it would appear you are already on it.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Pull up a pew by the fire, pour a favourite tipple and enjoy the banter… :cheers:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Marks7
Bleak

Post by Marks7 »

Welcome from another Essex ‘boy’ but not much sun in my part of the county lately!

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”