Unknown split cane fly rod bargain?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Unknown split cane fly rod bargain?

Post by Mr B »

I picked up this rod today in a charity shop for £7.00.
Couldn't resist it.
Not a clue of the make, but I thought it will be a bit of fun getting it back in action.
I'm thinking it would make a nice, well interesting, rod conversion for a game "Playing Gonker's" when I can pluck up the Courage to join the fray on "The Wally"
It could well be of over seas origin, but not sure? The cane doesn't look to bad and It dose have a nice spring to it but is rather heavy.
Its 11ft long, has a sort of wrapped cane handle and the tip is just over 2.5mm thick that bends well and has a few little kinks for added interest. ( that I suppose could be straitened)
There is a little fly in the ointment.. the last female ferrule has been slightly squashed in the middle but only slightly, so the male ferrule goes in but not fully home... I will try and work something out..
A bit of fun..
Any suggestions as to the make would be good and also on its transformation.... including keeping it as a fly rod or anything thing else... to thin for bean sticks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

MWithell
Chub

Re: Unknown split cane fly rod bargain?

Post by MWithell »

It looks like an interesting project if you have a lot of time on your hands! I'm sure the gonks would be impressed.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

MWithell wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:56 am It looks like an interesting project if you have a lot of time on your hands! I'm sure the gonks would be impressed.
Well, No, I don't have much time on my hands but I will be able to 'whack a few' rings on it, etc and a coat of varnish and have it fishing again!
Found a cork handle today and got a plan for the ferrule
Be stripping it down later tonight with a nice glass of red wine... who needs varnish remover!

Thanks for your comment , had the feeling it is such a grim looking rod no one was interested
:Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Quite an early rod judging by those ferrule spigots, nice find Mr B.

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

To me it looks quite like an early Thomas Chubb rod, made of Calcutta cane.
Personally I think it would be a shame to repurpose the rod, given it has survived around 120 or more years intact so far.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Very interesting gents,
Stripped the guides off and thought there could be more to this rod than meets the eye?

Mr B

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

£7 for hours of interest is of course a bargain! Rattan handle by the looks of it? No inscription or markings on that reel seat at all? If you do repurpose this rod then I'd be interested in that seat for a project I have :Hat:

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

I'd be interested to see how to convert the handle if transforming into a course rod. I have thought about doing this before.

I have "repaired" cork handles before by stripping the cane cork from the butt and inserting the butt into a hollow glass cork handles, keeping the glass. I had to build up the cane with wraps of string to a tight fit and soak in glue. It worked. Replacement cork rings are expensive.

These bargains are dangerous - and is why I have so many cane float rods. I can't resist the fun of buying, restoring and fishing with them.

My wife asks me if I need so many. But a few pounds for hours of fun restoring them, and then a life time of fishing seems like money well spent to me. Cheaper than a night on the ale and lasts longer too.

Like I say, please keep us posted with updates and pictures. It's almost as good watching others as doing it yourself!
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Its now looking like I will be keeping it as a fly rod. ( so I will be keeping the reel seat Liphook)
I have all the guides removed. It weighs in at 9 oz 7 gr.
Be interested to see how it cast at 11ft and with what line wt etc. (I do have a good few fly reels with different line)
I also have a couple of cork handles Maggotdrowner that could be converted with the correct ferrule to use the middle and tip section to make a little Gudgeon rod?
Yes, plenty of harmless fun can be had for £7!

Thanks Gents and I will keep you posted.

Mr B

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”