The Winfield Bass reel (multiplier) what a cutie!

The Other Reels forum.
Tengisgol
Barbel

The Winfield Bass reel (multiplier) what a cutie!

Post by Tengisgol »

I thought you’d be interested in some photos of this reel, which is in immaculate condition (considering it is a sea reel). There was a thread end of last year but no images.

It sits light in one hand and would no doubt suit any light spinning I would imagine.

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Re: The Winfield Bass reel (multiplier) what a cutie!

Post by Tonytoned »

Tengisgol wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:03 pm I thought you’d be interested in some photos of this reel, which is in immaculate condition (considering it is a sea reel). There was a thread end of last year but no images.

It sits light in one hand and would no doubt suit any light spinning I would imagine.

I love Winfield tackle, it was part of my growing up and early fishing life. Quality and value for money. Its shame Woolworths ever closed. Thanks for sharing.

:Thumb:

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

As a young teenager, all I wanted was an Intrepid Black Prince, and I remember walking round Woolworths with my Mother, who had suggested buying my rod and reel from there. I treated the reels with distain; I mean, how could anything Woolworths were selling be any good!? I did reluctantly get a woolies rod, however.

To me the Black Prince is a legend, but in truth it was basic and lost me a lot of bigger fish from the groove worn in that useless bail arm, whereas I was later (much later) to discover that the Winfield Course Fisher I had ridiculed that day, was in fact a vastly superior reel.

I imagine this is also true of the Bass Fisher and other Winfield multiplier reels.

I don't (yet) own a Bass Fisher Multiplier, but I am extremely pleased with my recently obtained (Point Japan) made Winfield Coarse Fisher, Spin Fisher and Beach Fisher reels (excellent quality!). These were the better models in my opinion, and for the sake of nostalgia, I have a couple of mint condition, boxed Black Princes too.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The nicest little multiplier I ever owned, great quality reel.
I believe it was Barrie Welham who sourced all the fishing tackle for Woolworths. The best quality items at a bargain price, many a top angler has praised the reels he found for them.

Wal.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:08 am The nicest little multiplier I ever owned, great quality reel.
I believe it was Barrie Welham who sourced all the fishing tackle for Woolworths. The best quality items at a bargain price, many a top angler has praised the reels he found for them.

Wal.
I did not know that!

I did notice, however (noting that Barrie Welham once worked for KP Morritt), that the Winfield boxes (or some at least) have same blue design with the black line around the base, that the early 70's Morritt boxes do. Just a coincidence maybe?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I read somewhere that the Winfield fixed spool reels were of Italian design. John Holden once said the sea fishing version was one of the best reels available at the time.

Wal.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:52 pm I read somewhere that the Winfield fixed spool reels were of Italian design. John Holden once said the sea fishing version was one of the best reels available at the time.

Wal.
The one pictured (and it's two bigger brothers) has a worm drive setup, and it is super smooth in operation (if only I'd known all those years ago), Italian design, yes could be, but definitely Japanese made.

John Holden was my pendulum casting hero (Paul Kerry also and Neil Mackellow).

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Could this be a Ryobi or an Olympic perhaps?

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Rockape wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:24 pm
Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:52 pm
John Holden was my pendulum casting hero (Paul Kerry also and Neil Mackellow).
Me too!

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Slightly off topic, but nobody ever mentions the Mitchell multipliers, I believe they held the British casting record for some time.

Return to “Other Reels”